A test drive of the Tesla Model 3 is very positive

We have many of these stations near me, but they’re not through the utility company. Many businesses are installing them.

Our local charging stations will be more like the Fred Flintstone version of EV charging stations, powering up the cars with a charge derived mainly from fossil fuel. Our coop buys electricity created mostly by coal and other fossil fuel powered plants.

We benefit from those clean running vehicles and somebody else gets the fall-out. :wink:

The area where I live had no electric service available at all until 1938 when our coop was organized.

I hope the folks with the EVs aren’t in a big hurry because we have frequent power outages in bad weather (which is frequent).
CSA

And that is a problem with EV vehicles. Not really that clean when you consider the power source to charge them.

But the potential is there.

I agree the potential is there. I look forward to practical EVs. I have thought for some time that ICEs have about run the course.

The potential is there for decent batteries to make these cars more desirable than any ICEs.

The potential for EVs with loooong range capabilities.

The potential is there for vehicles that will charge very quickly (similar in the time it takes to put gasoline in a car).

The potential is there for a power grid to handle and distribute solar, wind, wave, atomic, (who knows what) etcetera, generated electricity everywhere.

The potential is there for highly affordable EVs.

We’re not there yet, but making progress. Progress progresses faster than it once did. Technological changes are accelerating this scary fast.

Until then I’m on the sidelines waiting to jump in when we’re just about there.
CSA

Maybe Sim City 2000 will end up being right with their “futuristic” Fusion Power Plants and Satellite Microwave Plants :wink:

1 Like

As well all new technologies it takes time. This is an ever evolving process that is changing very rapidly. Now with more companies in the game and offering new approaches to the technology it may come about faster. Competition breeds advancement.

I’m actually amazed we’ve come as far as we have when we’ve really only had ONE company doing any research and development in EV cars. All the other big players are now playing catch-up. GM did for a few years with the EV-1, but then dropped the technology. Look at the advancements in almost any technology, and the technologies that had a lot of players were the ones that advanced the fastest and farthest.

EVs seem more like an entrepreneurial pursuit and that is right up Musk’s alley. He also came along at the right time, when battery charge density is high enough to make EVs, as opposed to hybrids, practical. I think there is a lot more interest in EVs now because of charge density. GM is doing an admirable job with the Bolt, they even beat Tesla to market with an affordable EV with good range. And that is real range for the Bolt. I hope the Model 3 lives up to the mileage range they tout, but there aren’t enough of them out yet to know for sure. I haven’t heard a peep out of Toyota on EVs, and maybe that shouldn’t be surprising. They have been so successful with hybrids, that EVs may not fit into their lineup yet. GM didn’t have much presence in the hybrid market, and they decided to leapfrog hybrids to get back in the game.