A replace engine for my 1968 Chevrolet Impala

I just bought a 1968 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Hardtop Auto 8cyl 327, but the problem is, is that i am on my p’s and i am only allowed to have about a 6cyl and i was thinking of replacing the engine with a 1971 FORD FALCON XY GT engine but i dont know what to do? and i dont know whether it would be really expensive because i have already spent about $9,450 on my chevy

What does on your “p’s” mean? If it means parents, send 'em here and I’m sure most of the board members will set them straight. Number of cylinders is totally irrelivant and this is not a particularly large engine for a car that big. There’s plenty for parents to take issue with in a car like that, but number of cylinders isn’t one of them!

Otherwise there is no good reason to replace a perfectly good, and probably original, V8 in favor of a 6-cylinder. For the cost of the engine swap (not to mention the drastic reduction in value your car will suffer) you could just buy a cheap runabout that gets better mileage. Or, alternatively, there were tons of these and similar cars that came with 6-cylinders and you could probably sell yours and buy one of those for very, very cheap.

Don’t even THINK about putting a Ford engine in it. Just leave it alone! A 327 Chevy is a very sweet and highly desirable engine. They don’t make short stroke engines like that anymore. The 2-speed PowerGlide will limit performance enough to keep your parents happy. And remember, once you get over 50mph, the brakes leave a LOT to be desired. Over 80 and not much happens when you step on the 1930 technology brakes…Keep that in mind.

Good Lord, don’t screw with that car. Keep the 327. Using a Ford engine (travesty in this case) means changing the trans, driveline, exhaust, mounts, wiring, etc, etc, etc. Expensive, plus the vehicle value is lessened.

What’s the deal with a V-8??? A 6 cylinder can power a vehicle into a bridge abutment at 70 MPH just like a V-8 can.

I think we’re being pranked here folks . . .

Please don’t do it!!! The 327 is one of the best engines ever made. Plus, that is a very large car; it would benefit from keeping the V8 in that you would have the power when you need it to avoid sticky situations. What you have is very desirable; if you change the engine it would be blasphemy.

BTW Does on your p’s mean on your pills? You must be tripping to even consider such a travesty.

DONT DO IT ,JUST DONT DO IT ,YOU WANT A 6 CYL CAR AND MAKE YOUR P’S HAPPY
ALL YOU YOU HAVE TO DO IS DISCONNECT 2 SPARK PLUG WIRES THERE YOU GO
NO BODY GET’S HURT THAT POOR FORD 6 CYL YOU PLANNED ON SHOVE’IN IN THAT
327’S HUGE SHADOW OF AN ENGINE BAY