A question about Windshield Washer Fluid

Oh yeah,Grandmas 63 Bel Air had it-Kevin

Hmmm, yeah. And if that doesn’t work, you can add some coolant to water instead.

And worse…the corrosion aspect is secondary to the immediate probable loss of function clogging the small orifice and loss of vision on the windshield.
Just below coasting in neutral in the list of unsafe driving practices.

Dont! it will stain the glass and be difficult to remove-Kevin

Kevin, I Think It Was My Dad’s 61 Bel Aire That Had It.
CSA

actually not really lol!

When I lived in Moscow I used vodka in my Lada Zhiguli – cheaper than windshield washer fluid, worked better and easier to find.

Twotone

3-4 dollars per gallon?

It’s alcohol. If you want to save almost nothing on your wiper fluid, get some kind of alcohol (rubbing alcohol, methyl alcohol, whatever).

And no, no water is going to damage the windshield…jeez, rain and bird crap don’t damage it, tap water isn’t going to either.

Salt, though, could damage your washer pump, the nozzles, your windshield wiper arms, the windshield wiper motor(s) or linkages, the firewall, the hood, EVERYTHING.

The responses re: salt corrosion being self-evident is probably geographically-dependant.

My sister recently moved from Chicago to SanDiego, and had to get her car inspected. The mechanic took her aside and said something to the effect of: “I’m really concerned about the exhaust–I’ve never seen one with so much rust.”

To which she said, “You’ve never lived anywhere that they use salt on the roads in winter, have you?”

I Managed A Busy Mazda Parts Department In The Early Eighties In The Salt Belt. Mazda Sent Guys From Japan To See Why We Sold 2 To 3 Times More Exhaust Systems Than Normal.
CSA

I got screwed on the Walmart fluid last year. I was driving my car in the fall when I used the washers to clean my windshield. As soon as the washer fluid hit the windshield, it froze. I had to stick my head out the window to see where I was going. When I got home, I checked the Walmart washer fluid jug. It said “summer formula” in small letters on the label. I had no idea I was paying a premium for blue water all year! I dumped the washer fluid out of all 4 of my cars and refilled them with washer fluid from somewhere else. Watch yourself…stay away from anything that says it’s for summer use only or not to be used below 32 degrees. You’ll end up freezing up your windshield or bursting a washer reservoir.

And the Walmart washer fluid they sell for summer and winter are both blue. The only difference was the small print on the label.

I am sure the mechanic has seen the effect of salt caused corrosion, being that his shop was in San Diego (near an ocean)

My car spends most of its time out of the snow belt. But, once in a while I do go north in the winter. So, when I needed more windshield fluid, I looked for -20 or -30, and there was none in McAllen. I had to wait until I drove north and pick up a couple gallons, which should last me a long time. My viewpoint is that tank is large and I don’t need to fill it often. if I get it filled with what is roughly water, I will not use it up before going north, and want it ready in case.

The local do-it-yourself yard already does that with new arrivals; however, it isn’t free. There is a barrel with a tap in the front office. If I remember they charge 50 cents a gallon, poured into your own container. I’m pretty sure they had a similar deal for used coolant (eeek).

"The OP never knew that salt corrodes metal parts?

He/she never knew that the reason why people use so much windshield washer fluid in the winter is because of the need to remove salt residue from windshields?

This is scary."

C’mon, some folks just aren’t science types. At least osaeed had the self-assurance to ask and not be offended by the incredulous answers. Now he knows and can benefit from it.

Back to the original question: But the concentrated stuff, not the kind you just pour in and use. You ae paying for water, and tap water from your house is a lot cheaper that tap water someone sells you in a bottle. Just mix it in the ratio suggested on the bottle.

“When I asked store clerk about it, and the absence of WINTER fluid (usually blue), he shrugged his shoulders, and said someone based in the East had told him to sell the existing stock first.”

Can’t trust those Quebecois! :wink:

“…ethylene glycol…”

While we’re on the subject, remember that this is poison for dogs, and they love the sweet odor. If the find it on the street, they will lap it up. It could be curtains for someone’s little sweetheart.

Hey! My doggie’s my little honey! Well, fourth daughter…

“When I lived in Moscow I used vodka in my Lada Zhiguli – cheaper than windshield washer fluid, worked better and easier to find.”

And you get a little snoot-full in slow traffic!

While AZ, NM, and West TX have the least corrosion, Cali is very low compared to Chicago.

I met a guy in Lompoc, CA about 15 years ago with a cherry early Mustang. It was just fabulous; showroom fabulous. I commented on the mild west coast weather, and he laughed, saying that he bought it in West Texas before he was transferred to the federal prison at Lompoc.

You will seriously damage your car like that over time.Its actually not the same salt,that you use in home.On the roads they use a salt that actually sucks in moisture,but the salt you use at home is more crystal and does damage,it doesnt suck anything in.Plus the water is not pure enough or smoothened.
In the long run you will lose more money rather then save.
Hope it helps.

-Roben