A pre-purchase inspection could have saved him from this nightmare

1 Like

And people wonder why so many replies here say avoid a used European luxury vehicle . This is another case of the money could have bought something new but would not have as many creature comforts .

17000 plus 15000 = 32000 which will buy a very nice new vehicle or even cover the 3 year lease of a luxury vehicle if one must have one.

3 Likes

Guy buys a 10 year old car in a different state and then complains that it won’t pass his state inspection and needs repairs to a sunshade. Meh.

Most cars on the used car lots are clearly marked in bold letters “as is where is”. I think the only thing that wouldn’t be just general repairs and maintenance was the engine overhaul. Don’t know how many times it needs to be said to not buy a BMW out of warranty.

The needed repairs went WAY beyond that rear sunshade.
That being said, I wouldn’t do what he did (I wouldn’t buy a car in a different state, I don’t buy used cars, and I think that anyone buying a used luxury car is in for a boatload of repairs as the car ages…), but I also think that the dealership–which is very close to my house–did not treat him in an honorable manner.

1 Like

Oh, I know. I was just using that as an example of unrealistic expectations. When one buys a 10 year old car of unknown history, a sunshade is a frivolous luxury, not a necessary component to drive the car.

I agree that the dealer did not treat this customer honorably. I also think that someone buying a 10 year old Eurolux and not willing to pay for significant maintenance and repair bills is also not acting honorably.

Simply stated, the customer should have bought a better car.

“Saved $100 by not doing a prepurchase inspection”, “Got an unbelievable deal”, “Gotta grab this now”.

Sorry but I have no sympathy for the Buyer because even my 90 year old Granny with a 5th grade education and no knowledge about cars wouldn’t have fallen into this situation.

2 Likes

I know bmw labor is pricey, but I do not what $10k in motor repair to fix oil consumption is. New motor? So, story should be, buyer made $5k in repairs in 30 days. $3200 for suspension work? Meh.

Someone purchasing a 10 year old BMW that isn’t in immaculate condition and having all the maintenance receipts, imo they should expect as a matter of course to be shelling out another $10,000 over the next year in parts and labor. If that’s not the path a purchaser wants to take

• buy a new BMW
  • buy an old BMW, but one proven to be in excellent condition (per a pre-purchase inspection)
  • buy a widely-sold econobox

Some dealers here encourage you to have an inspection done, saves them lots of trouble but still doesn’t mean that something won’t turn up later.

Original owner had no oil burning issues. They showed up when 2nd owner had it. And bmw fixed motor for free. Nice.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t have one done but I have only done one. It would have been stupid of me to have bought that car anyway. I usually have had no problems unforeseen with a used car. Just expect it will need stuff. I was a little surprised when I bought my 67 Buick wagon in 76 for $250. I knew it needed some work but never expected the whole top end to need re-doing. Looked like the guy had done a short block and quit and then left town leaving his wife with the mortgage.

One thing I learned after buying my first car Morris Minor though is if the dealer lowers the price on you while you are paying for it, beware.

I cannot imagine how many cars are fixed up and sold after hurricanes and floods. I am thinking quite a few. Bought our last new car while Katrina was battering the south, figured all the people needing new cars car companies would do away with special promotions which were very good at the time.

A few years ago, the used car department at work had to unwind a used car deal on one of those 4.4 L BMWs.

After the buyer left the engine idling for 15 minutes there was light smoke coming from the tail pipes. Pre-purchase inspection didn’t spot the problem, the car went to the auction, the recon expenses were lost.

Pay $17,000 for a car that sold for $80,000 new, better have money to bring the car up to standards. The Jeep dealer should not be expected to be BMW experts.

1 Like

For the last 20 years insurance companies have been required to notify the state DMV of the loss, these cars have salvage titles.

There’s a professor where I work.
From the Caribbean. Loves 7 series Beemers.
Buys them for a song.
On nice afternoons he can be found in the parking lot tinkering.
There’s always something to be fixed.

Knew a mechanic in the '70s. Owned 5 Rollers, 50-60s vintage. One for each day of the week.
Fixer-uppers bought very cheap. Quite a hobby!

Point is both those guys know going in these aren’t appliances, like Camrys.

1 Like

There is a Christmas Tree Farm near me that features a 70s-era Roller, which is constantly parked in the circular drive in front of the residence. It is moved–maybe–twice a year. My guess is that it is merely a decorative accessory.

the sales manager gave him a verbal promise to fix it

For anyone reading this who doesn’t know, verbal promises at dealerships are only worth the paper they’re written on.

Any time you buy a car from a dealership that you want them to improve/work on/fix, you should get a “WE OWE” sheet from them with the necessary work spelled out.

Had this guy gotten a We Owe sheet that said the sunshade would be fixed, then the dealership would have been legally obligated to fix it.

You want any aftermarket accessories that will be installed later to be on this We Owe sheet as well.

safety repairs to the bushings, rear driveshaft flex joint disc, right front outer axle boot, a radiator leak and more, he said. He also had to replace the tires, which along with an alignment and a cracked wheel, cost $1,916.

Now this is getting dumb. A radiator leak should have been easy to find when he inspected the car before he paid them for it. Likewise the tires that needed replacement. Probably the cracked wheel too. He shouldn’t have even needed a PPI to know he should pass on this car. Of course, it’s a 6 year old BMW, which should be an automatic pass for anyone who doesn’t like the idea of spending thousands to keep a car on the road. :wink:

Pierce said he believes the repairs should have been covered under the limited warranty,

He can believe whatever he wants, but the warranty was apparently a powertrain warranty and none of the components listed as needing repair would be covered in a powertrain warranty. So not only did he not bother to look at the car before he plunked down his money, he didn’t bother to look at the paperwork either, because apparently he thought “limited powertrain warranty” meant “they’ll fix everything for free forever!”