A New Car That Won't Get Driven Much

I know this will sound a bit odd, but here goes. I’m buying a 2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo as a treat to myself for working as hard as I do. My dilemma is that it won’t get driven much because I work so much. Maybe 20-30kms once or twice a month. Is there anything I can do to protect the engine if it sits for a month or so, since it will probably take me a year (or more) to even get it through the break-in period? Should I plan to take a week off when I get it and take it for several lovely, long drives through the countryside? Thanks for your input!

I think all you’ll need is a battery tender since you don’t drive the vehicle that much. Then unplug the battery tender and have a blast!

Tester

Neither the engine nor any other component will suffer if the car sits for a month. And the engine on a modern car is practically broken in before you buy it. Do what Tester recommends, then relax and enjoy yourself.

Are you buying transportation or furniture?

Caddyman’s jelous! Caddyman’s Jelous!

Tester

@Caddyman It is transportation. It will take me to work, where I get into my Kenworth and drive around North America for a few weeks at a time. Then I come back and it will take me back to my house. I’ve got almost 380,000kms on the Kenworth and it’s only 18 months old. That’s why the Veloster won’t get driven much.

Take the long way home when you park the Kenworth.
;=)

Put a battery tender on the car when it sits if electric outlet is available. If no electric, there are solar chargers if the car is outside. It might sit for a month and the battery will still have enough power to crank it over, but some cars drain the battery when they sit unused. To be sure have a jump start box handy just in case.

I’d add fuel stabilizer to the gas, as it will be in your tank for a while.

The front end of the Hyundai LOOKS like a Kenworth…The PitBull school of automotive design…

You might consider these Michelin cables: