A New Analysis of Premium vs. Regular

I agree…“end of discussion”. Thanks for your perspective.

OTOH there are some decidedly non high-end cars that require premium, like the “Smart” car.

…which is just one of the many reasons why the term “smart” is an oxymoron in regard to that car…

A few weeks ago, I finally saw one of the re-designed “Smart” cars (definitely not as dumb-looking as the earlier design) on the highway, and it was moving at something like 75 mph.
I noticed that it had “manufacturer” license plates, so apparently the company employee who was driving it has much more confidence in his safety than I would if I was driving that tiny car

So, why did you get rid of it? Was this one of those later regret issues or was it really in need of replacement? Not my business, just curious.

Doing my best to imitate a stuck record, :slight_smile: let me remind y’all that if you drive into Mexico, and some folks do, ALWAYS buy premium. This has nothing to do with octane or prices. The premium gets its additives put in during refinery work in Houston. Regular gets its additive put in, in Vera Cruz, and every so often car fuel lines or fuel pumps get messed up. Don’t take the risk.

@irlandes. The '87 Olds was retired at 20 years old because it was spending too much time in the shop due to trouble getting parts and I needed a car I could rely on due to my dad’s failing health. So I bought a new Impala and gave the Olds to a nephew. He actually still has it though hasn’t used in some years. It sits waiting to be a project car for his son.

I ended parting ways with its replacement, the Impala that @ok4450 says lacked mojo. :grinning: The Imp got traded after seven years for the Camry I’ve now had two and a half years and expect to drive many years more.

Okay, thanks, Marnet. It was just plain curiosity. We followed you through some of those changes, and I lose track of what actually happened. Based on my 2002 Sienna, 221,000 miles, which is now parked in McAllen due to new Mexican car import laws, yes, that Camry should last a very long time.

Hi irlandes:
Just curious.
What is the new Mexican import law, and how did that keep you from having your Sienna in Mexico?

There are two statuses for an imported car, as for people. Permanent and temporary.

People with temporary status in Mexico can import their US car, temporarily. I did that for around 11 years, because I was first a tourist entering for six months at a time. Then, I became a temporary resident, called at the time FM-3.

A few years ago, in response to criticism from the US that they criticized US immigration policy while theirs was much worse, Mexico implemented what looks to me like what they wish the US had.

Under that new law, I could get Family Unity residency, first temporary, then permanent, because my wife is still a Mexican citizen.

As long as I had temporary residence, I could bring in my 2002 Sienna. April 3, 2016 I got permanent residence, which means I never have to leave, never have to go back to the immigration office, again.

At that time I could no longer have a temporary imported car. But, at the same time Mexico, in violation of NAFTA, said only newer cars, around 8 years old, could be imported permanently/

So, I had to take the 2002 to the border and leave it in McAllen, and buy a Mexican vehicle.

In the past, customs agents would manipulate the paperwork for a fee. A couple years ago, they put I think it was 13 of them in prison. So, there is now no legal way to import my 2002 and no illegal way to import my 2002 Sienna.

Very interesting. Thank you.