A little GPS humor

I have cataracts that shall need removal before much longer. I already began modifying my driving somewhat several years ago as a result.

Even afterwards I will still need glasses due to extreme astigmatism and also needing a prism correction for a lifelong eye muscle imbalance. What I want is to have back clear vision, glasses or not.

One of the biggest contributors to getting cataracts is high blood sugar. Keep it under check.

Iā€™m in good shape there

They always do one at a time just in case that little flower that unfolds, unfolds in the wrong place. Getting it out again is a little harder. You can choose the lens you want to either just continue what you have or to correct the eye sight.

Well, that plus having both eyes bandaged for a day or so isnā€™t ideal, so it is SOP to do surgery on the eyes at different times.

The Ophthalmologist discussed the amount of ā€œcorrectionā€ with me prior to both surgeries, and he stated that he could give me distance vision in one eye, and close vision in the other eye. I thought that this wasā€¦ strangeā€¦ but I found out that this was not unusual, so I agreed. It worked out very nicely.

We were staying across the Lake from Green Bay. We took the ferry from Mackinaw City. Idiot here bought the ferry tickets online and then realized we had no way to print them. We had to stop at an OfficeMax. We never got to the UP.

Several years ago I needed to find a bunch of buildings spread across west St. Louis County in connection with my job. I knew that between my usual luck and sense of direction Iā€™d never find them all. I bought a used TomTom GPS from a pawn shop. We didnā€™t bring it on vacation because I knew my wife wouldnā€™t use it. I find turn-by-turn voice directions very handy, although I still glance at the GPS occasionally.

BTW, former president Reagan was said to have worn only one contact lens so he could read a speech with one eye and see the audience with the other. Another option is half lens readers.

One of my uncles was an engineer who helped design and build the Mighty Mac bridge. :blush:

1 Like

I believe that my cataracts are a side-effect of Lipitor. I just got progressive lenses for the first timed today. That is why this reply is out of focus.

Blindish in one eye, Dr. 4 years ago 5% chance of failure, live with the cataracts as long as you can, Doing ok for now, night driving in the rain is tough!

My son in law weas one contact lens for distance vision, his reading vision in the other eye doesnā€™t need any help.

I did not have that option because I was driving a school bus at the time and you need a minimum of 20/40 vision in both eyes for driving one.

I could have chosen a multi ring lens for $300 extra each but was told I was not a good candidate because I han not been able to adjust to blended bifocals. I was also told the there was a greater riswk of seeing rings or stars around lights at night and I did not want to do anything to impair driving abiliry. Mine were done about 12 years ago.

They didnā€™t have an E-Ticket. Itā€™s rare that I every get a printed ticket for an event or even an airplane anymore. I thought everyone was using E-Tickets these days.

relevant to the eyesight discussion, and cars- starting at 1:30 (although the first part is funny too)

Brian Regan - prescription windhsield

Washington state ferries have a E-ticket that you can show at the gate on your phone, the last time I printed one out their scanner didnā€™t like what my printer had produced.

This was 4 years ago or so, so fairly recent. The web site where I bought the tickets specifically said to print them but naturally it didnā€™t say that until after I paid.