A cure for oil consumption?

I do use generic Roundup (glyphosate) about 4 times per year. At least until my 2.5 gallons runs out. I’ve had the same concentrate jug for a couple of years now. I’m aware of the cancer risk, somewhat. I need to research it. I’m assuming the risk is overblown, which may be a mistake on my part. Tobacco causes cancer. The sun causes cancer. Artificial sweeteners cause cancer. X rays cause cancer. I’m assuming Roundup is less dangerous than some of those other things. But I do need to check my facts.

Only one or two artificial sweeteners cause cancer in lab rats. Splenda only kills the good bacteria in your digestive tract, and Stevia doesn’t have any known harmful effects (yet). The reason to avoid artificial sweeteners is that they trigger an insulin response in your body just like sugar does, which is only slightly less harmful than sugar.

X-rays don’t cause cancer, they just elevate the risk by a very small amount. Other types of imaging use much more radiation in comparison. The risk from x-rays is negligible.

My mother survived non-Hodgkins lymphoma after chemo and a bone marrow transplant. Trust me, you don’t want to go through that, particularly because you might not come out the other end cancer-free.

As for the sun, I manage that risk. I hope you do too. Sunburns are no fun.

1 Like

I definitely manage the sun risk as best I can. But I’m rather pigment challenged and spend a lot of time outdoors.

I will research the glyphosate cancer thing, thanks for bringing it to my attention. I had kind of glossed over it a bit, thinking it might be more of a windfall for legal teams than anything else. Those commercials on tv that say something to the effect of “Attention: have you or a loved one been exposed to X and now have Y? You may be entitled to Z” kind of make me tune out. I wonder if data is readily available as to how much exposure is considered a real risk? Will see what the web says on the subject.

my guess, exposure to gp is something to be concerned about if you use it frequently. if only a few times per year to knock down some weeds, non-windy days, face shield & masked, and washing up thoroughly afterward , probably not much of a risk.

Truth in advertising statement: I worry about such things & while I have used gp in the past, I don’t use it at all now. My lawn mower takes care of the weeds good enough for my purposes.

Cancer, yeah, I’m living dangerous. Later, have one, two beers, maybe a cigar, with the neighbor, out behind the hedge. On the edge.

The truth is, I live in a subdivision surrounded by soybean fields. For years, farmers have used “Roundup ready” soybeans. I’m not clear on the details, my theory is they developed a Roundup resistant soybean so they could spray over the beans and kill the weeds without damaging the bean crop. I better research that too, that may not be how “Roundup ready” soybeans work. Kind of concerning though.

I’ve got about 1.5 acres of pine trees out front. I mainly use the herbicide once or twice a year to kill the underbrush that sprouts. It’s not enough sprouting to mow, and mowing the pine straw would mulch it and cause more sprouting anyway.

One year I just burned it off under the pines. Big mistake. The weed seeds were exposed and the burned straw fertilized them :grimacing:

1 Like

Your description sounds correct. The current agricultural weed control strategy seems to be that either the crop produces its own round-up, and that kills the adjacent weeds, or the crop is round-up resistant allowing the farmer to spray the weeds with round up without bothering the crop.

Yes, just a slight wilt and requires a bit more water, as I recall.

One of my relatives lives in Indiana, on the edge of a soy bean field. When I visit I’ll sometimes pick a handful of soy beans and steam them up for dinner, with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, very tasty. These folks look at me like I’m crazy … lol … they consider soy beans as cow food & never heard of any person eating soybeans I guess.

1 Like

Soy bean’s are used for a lot of thing’s beside’s cow food such as soy milk & alot of other thing’s in people food.

Like cheap gas station cheeseburgers.

1 Like

I’ve never tried them by themselves. Probably taste like Roundup.

Was there a sign posted that read “Help yourself to my crop”?

2 Likes

It must have been somebody else that did it … lol …

1 Like

But to be fair there wasn’t a sign that said “Don’t eat mah daggum beans!” either.

1 Like

It’s heredity I guess. One time my parents were taking a Sunday drive through a rural area where my dad lived when he was a kid , taking in the sights and showing me where he did this, and where he did that. So he comes to an apple orchard and tells us it’s the same orchard where he used to stop while biking to school and pick an apple for a snack. He stops, and gets out of the car. I tell him “I don’t think it’s a good idea to pick apples from THAT orchard. There’s a big NO TRESSPASSING sign.” He ignores me of course, and hops the fence and picks three apples. All of a sudden the farmer comes by and says to him “hey, do I come into your house and steal your silverware?”

well, the farmer has a point …

3 Likes

lol But then they eat cornbread and farina? Also cattle food, in Iowa. Maybe they are looking at you because they’ve been sprayed. Then grits… corn soaked in lye.

As for soy milk and the other eatables… that’s not food. :smile: (Better these days, but a few sunflower seeds doesn’t make it meatloaf. Maybe if I asked for redeye gravy?)

1 Like

Just a cigar? Why not two or three? Don’t be a wimp, up your intake.

1 Like

sounds logical