A cautionary tale

yes they do have 4 door rollbacks,so they can haul passengers ,including babies,and get you off the highway safley ,then deal with the situation.

Yeah, when I slid off the road this past winter I was the only one and that tow truck was huge. I bet they could have fit 8 people inside of it. Heck, I felt safer in the tow truck than any other vehicle i’d ever been in. The driver was cool too, he asked me what I wanted to hear on the radio and off to the body shop we went.

Maybe the real lesson is to carry your own can of Fix-A-Flat, since you said that would have solved your problem and you already had a tire with a slow leak. Would I have thought of that ahead of time? NO. But now you know.

Carrying an emergency kit with fix-a-flat, small compressor, jumper cables, is a good idea. I always carry water (drinking) in my vehicle. I live near Las Vegas, just in case. More often than not you end up being on you own. But the best learned lessons are the hard ones.

Turn down a free tow truck? What a dummy. Must be an engineer.

My final post. Oh yah, don’t we wish. Print it out and show the whole family if it were final. I bet that the next time I use the spare, I will get the flat tire fixed before I go much farther. I know I used to drive with a flat spare, but I had an air tank in the back of the truck with a wick repair kit. It works great on my $30 tires. I buy better ones now that I have better cars. I have some Goodyears now but I might buy Hero tires next time. As far as Audi goes, a telephone is a device that prevents useful communication. Thank goodness we have the internet now. That’ll help. I would like to thank the OP for helping me learn from somebody else’s experience. I hope the lesson works better than most of the other ones I’ve had in my life.

I too would have considered their response unacceptable and been upset. They should have sent a tow truck out to assess the situation firsthand. Anything less is a dereliction of duty. Had they done so, the tow driver could have refilled the low tire with his compressor and enabled them to get to safety.

They should have sent a tow truck out to assess the situation firsthand.

It sounds like they tried to and the OP declined their offer.

If he is telling it straight, that is the case, yes.

next time, try stowing a can or two of “fix-a-flat” and a valve stem tool in your trunk.
sometimes that “fix-a-flat” can come in real handy with a slow leak like you described and at least get you out of a pinch in an emergengy.
or sometimes the problem may just be a lose valve stem. sometimes the fatigue and get lose. they will let little air “seep” out. keep an air gauge in your console,glove box or trunk. check your tire pressure at least twice per month -minimum! if 3 tires are holding good, & you begin to see a pattern of one tire losing 5-8 psi or more every two weeks, you know you have a slow leak. take it in get it checked. this will avoid tire problems later, save your tires, and help your fuel economy as well. the rubber is what seperates you and the road- take care of it! remember-just because it’s a new car doesn’t meen you won’t have problems.
hope this helps
thanks,
deep plaid

This brings up another tip. Let’s say the maximum pressure listed on the side of your full-size spare is 35 psi and the sticker on your car says to fill your tires to 30 psi. The next time you check your tire pressure, fill all four mounted tires to 30 psi like normal, but fill the full-size spare to 35 psi. That way, if your spare leaks a few psi, it will still be safe to drive on. If it doesn’t loose any psi while being stored in the trunk, you can always let some air out after you mount the spare. I would rather have a spare with too much air than not enough. Just don’t drive on it with 35 psi and don’t overinflate the spare past its maximum rating. If you have a small 60 psi spare, don’t inflate it to 65 psi. 60 is the maximum and the target for most small spare tires.

First, why would you let your AAA card expire? The discounts alone that I get with my card each year are more than the cost of membership. From eyeglasses to hotel rooms to admission to theme parks, that card is valuable.

Second, it is been my experience that tow car operators, regardless of how they look, actually like helping people. By refusing the dispatch of the tow truck, you put yourself and your child at risk. With a tow truck on site, you would have had not only a potentially skilled person to help figure out a solution, but someone who had resources you didn’t have: a vehicle that worked; tools and equipment; a cell phone or radio; access to local information about the nearest repair shop or tire store; a defensive shield to protect your car and family from traffic and so forth.

I’m afraid you acted like a fool and curse the wrong the people. As others have pointed out, you refused all reasonable help and now want to complain about it. Shame on you.