A.C.problem

Then the gauge manifold is defective, or the push-on access fittings aren’t connected properly. If the valve core depressors aren’t functioning properly, you will read incorrect pressures (typically 0 PSI).

This is a harbor freight gage, but I think it’s working. I will confirm when my wife gets home with her car. Also @ok4450 I’m old and from old stuff. I was under the impression that static pressure is supposed to be around 60 to 90 pounds varying with ambient temperature. I don’t know much about variable compressors except the principle. I don’t even know what type of compressor this has.

I’m just relating static pressure numbers based on my past history. No matter the make or model, the median number has always been around the 120 range. Generally speaking, a 100 PSI and lower means inadequate cooling.

As for the numbers remaining the same no matter the condition, there’s a problem. Any chance the clutch assembly is engaging but not rotating the compressor itself? Sheared Woodruff shaft key maybe?
You might try and grasp the outer hub of the clutch assembly and try to rotate the compressor by hand to make sure the innards (technical term… :slight_smile: ) are turning.

Tester

Yeah, on a warm summer’s day I’ll hook the gauges up and see static pressure of 110-120 on a fully charged system, last week I hooked to a full system and static pressure was under 90, but the ambient temp was 38 degrees.

@tcmichnorth is saying that in sub-freezing weather he’s seeing 220psi equalized static pressure. I’m saying there’s no way that’s possible.

I’ve only put gages on probably less than 20 cars, working and not working. I’ve never seen static above 70 lbs. That doesn’t mean much from my little bit of experience, but I find it hard to believe that the static is above 120. That’s why I’m asking. My first inclination is that I’m doing something wrong,which is usually the case when I’m into newer adventures. My wife is still out spending money so I’m still waiting for her car. I’m not going to experiment with my car, so I’ll have to wait some more.

And it’s 60 degrees in my garage.

Bring your car to the shop. I’m sure some guys there would love to experiment with it!

I’m working on my daughter’s car, and that’s probably what we will do. Shotgunning A.C.
Can get real expensive. My cars still under warranty so I touch nothing but the dipstick.

I also do not see a 225 static pressure being possible. You know what would happen to a tapped can of refrigerant at anywhere near that pressure with the low side valve open? Catastrophic bang with a pretty fair amount of danger involved.

Have you tried to change the FREON gas inside the AC?

I’d hate to evacuate without proper equipment. If I did I wouldn’t make it public on a forum.

1 Like

All in all, I think static pressure was over 120. Don’t know why. I don’t think she had anyone working on it. So if I can’t get the pressure down, I’ll remove the compressor fuse until she gets it fixed.

Why would he want to do this?

1 Like