A/C 97 Taurus

I have an issue with the A/C compressor not staying on. It runs for about 5-10 seconds and stops. The vent air gets cool to slightly below ambient. But not cold enough.

I checked the suction side pressure with it running. The pressure rises to about 45psi and then the compressor kicks on. The pressure drops to high 20’s and it stops running. This usually takes 5-10 seconds. The pressure will them rise and at or above 45 psi the compressor will kick in again. It varies. Sometimes the pressure goes into the 90’s when some time(minutes) passes without the compressor running.

I tried adding some Freon with a 12oz can with sealer. It did not seem to work very well and I am not sure much entered the system. I had it connected for 5-6 minutes. I followed the directions but the compressor does not seem to run long durring this time. While the pressure in the system runs high I don’t think it can accept new freon from the can. It is hard to judge but the can does not seem any lighter.

Any suggestions on trouble shooting this problem? Ideas in checking the clutch or other sensors?

First let me say that, you don’t introduce anything into an AC system but oil and refrigerant. Nothing else. Using a refrigerant with a sealant included is not effective in stopping refrigerant leaks. And this stuff usually mucks up the AC system. Also, if you ever bring the vehicle in for AC service where reclaiming of the refrigerant is required, the reclaiming machine has a special filter that removes these sealants from the refrigerant before it enters the machine. If a sealant is found in this filter after reclaiming the refrigerant, the filter needs to be replaced. And the cost of replacing this filter will be added to your final bill for the AC service. And these filters are not cheap.

That being said, to properly recharge an AC system requires a set of manifold gauges. These gauges reflect both the low and high side pressures during the charging process. And that’s because the high side pressure is the more important pressure. It also sounds like you’re not bringing the engine to the proper operating condition for recharging the AC system. These conditions are usually, engine running at 2,000 RPM’s, large fan blowing on the condensor, monitoring duct temperatures, and monitoring the low and high side pressures while introducing the refrigerant.

DIY AC service can be risky. It doesn’t take much to cause damage to the system. For example, how many DIY’ers realize that before adding the refrigerant that the charging hose must be purged of air and moisture first? Failing to do this just contaminates the system with air and moisture. Which has a negative effect on AC performance.

Tester

Thanks for sharing.