A $250 fine for "left lane squatters"

Do you also talk to your coworkers and friends this way?

Even if you believe you’re correct, sometimes it’s better to just stay silent, to maintain good relationships with people

Me, my brother, and a buddy of ours were driving from Detroit to Seattle in 1977 in the middle of the night around the Minnesota - South Dakota border. Apparently a statie snuck up about 30 feet behind us with no lights on and could have been back there who knows how long before he turned on the lights and passed us. That sure woke me up.

You take this way too seriously. And it’s part of the reason it’s impossible for some people to have a real conversation anymore. We’re all so easily offended, or afraid people will think poorly of us.

If you play your little passive aggressive speed enforcer game in the left lane while traffic streams around you on your right, you’re an idiot, period. The only other explanation is that you are paying so little attention as you float through time and space that you’re a lousy driver who is a danger to yourself and others.

Peace out.

Indeed

You REALLY know how to make friends

“Peace out” . . . as you would say

It’s been a REAL pleasure knowing you

Maybe something like this has to happen before they really get serious.

http://abc7news.com/news/driver-in-deadly-texas-church-bus-crash-was-texting-witness-says/1831976/

Guys, check out pherbert’s comments

We’ve got a “winner”

Might have a chip on his shoulder

Or maybe he GOT the cold shoulder, and is venting :laughing:

I had something similar happen to me in 1982. I was driving my commercial Ford E-250 van Northbound on I-5 passing through Albany, OR after midnight. With the 55mph governor maximum speed was about 57mph indicated. There was zero traffic. I was pulled over by a state trooper and cited for 60mph in a 55mph national environmental 55mph zone. I was in the right hand lane. I went to court. The Linn county traffic court was held in a courthouse employee break room and the Judge was dressed business casual. There were 2 or 3 other defendants. The Judge asked if I was aware the national speed limit was 55mph. I answered “yes your honor” and he dismissed the citation.

That’s true, you get to see lots of cars, but the only law enforcement you get to do is for speeding. Not left lane bandits, not reckless driving, not drunks, not people broke down in need of help.

So . . . if the other regulars are slammed, I defend them

But when it happens to me . . . ?!

Guess I can’t always be the most popular guy in town :frowning2:

Going from Lubbock to Clovis on Highway 84, I found myself driving in the left lane just because the right lane was so rough with lots of asphalt patches and grooved pavement. There was hardly any traffic and I got back in the right lane if I saw someone overtaking me.
It’s hard to cite someone for obstructing traffic when there is no traffic to obstruct.

Usually, when troopers give you a good tongue lashing, they have no grounds to give you a ticket.

I got stopped for going 59 in a 55. No ticket just slow down. I got stopped for going 70 in a 55. No ticket just slow down. Got stopped for 45 in a 30 and paid $125. Got stopped for 70 in a 55 and paid $125. Got stopped for 40 in a 30 on my birthday and paid $125. Got stopped for 65 in a 55 and got a warning. Got stopped for not completely stopping at a stop sign and just got a warning. Drove through a red light at midnight after stopping for 2 minutes with no other cars around except a police car and got a warning. I dunno, I feel lucky and know if I do get a ticket for 56 in a 55, I’m still ahead of the game. My average is much better now since I don’t have to drive 30,000 miles a year on 55 mph two lane highways in the middle of nowhere.

Is driving the speed limit being a slowpoke? Well, what if they’re in the right, or middle lane? It seems to me that driving the speed limit is now out of style. Speed limits are suggested for reasons, one of them being safety; for pedestrians in cities, for the elderly, and teens who may not have too much driving experience outside of the city; furthermore, limiting speed also keeps gasoline usage in check. The interstate around my city contains lots of curves; sure, most cars can handle the curves at 70+ mph, but can the driver?

1 Like

Well, north Iowa is a great place to get one of those. Ask me how I know…

The speed limit has no connection to this law. If you’re in the left lane and not passing the traffic to your right, you’re breaking this law, whether you’re traveling below, at, or above the speed limit.

3 Likes