99 Suby legacy AT, leaks, misses shifts

Hi, got a 99 suby legacy 2.2l AT. Shifts perfect when topped off, for 100 miles or so, back of the oil pan is wet w/ ATF.

Is this a beastly tranny to pull & reseal?

I’ve done a lot of them so I don’t consider it that big a job.
What I would be concerned with would be just how often this transmission was low on fluid and shifting problems occurred.

It doesn’t take much slipping and many missed shifts to damage the transmission and since the transmission is going on 11 years old with what I assume is high mileage my opinion would be to rebuild it if you’re going to keep the car and go to the trouble of removing the transmission.

You might do a careful inspection of the transmission and see if the leak is caused by something that does not require removal of the transmission.

New car to me, 83k on the clock.

You might do a careful inspection of the transmission and see if the leak is caused by something that does not require removal of the transmission.

Know what you mean. I fed an oil leak on my benz 240D for a year before I looked at the front crankshaft seal, then it was like 'well, THERE’S your problem.

What is typical rebuild expense? I might just roll the dice on a low mileage salvage tranny.