99 GMC fuel gauge problems

I have a 99 GMC Safari van. Recently I completely ran out of gas and some time after that. My gas fuel gauge only registers as full until I am almost empty then it registers as 3/4 full. Also the van hesitates when first accelerating. Are these problems related? What do you recommend?

Well I doubt if the two things are directly related, but they may be close.

I would guess that the fuel sensor - sender unit needs to be replaced. On many cars it is combined with or attached to the fuel pump. The fuel pump/pick-up screen may cause the other problems.

I guess crud in the fuel tank could have caused both problems, but I think that is a slight chance.

I would guess that the fuel sensor - sender unit needs to be replaced. On many cars it is combined with or attached to the fuel pump. The fuel pump/pick-up screen may cause the other problems.

I guess crud in the fuel tank could have caused both problems, but I think that is a slight chance.

Joseph, Thanks for your reply. Any idea how much it might cost to replace a fuel pump pick up screen? Also would any fuel additive help to improve the hesitation and slow acceleration?

I have a 2000 Blazer with the 4.3, I’m assuming the Safari has the same engine. My fuel gauge has the same problem, I did some research and it is a common problem for GM trucks of this vintage. Unfortunately the sending unit is part of the fuel pump assembly (~$800 to replace). I just fill up at 250 to 270 miles, usually the truck has about 3 gallons remaining. If you track a number of fill ups, you should be able to get a handle on the distance you can drive on one tank leaving a 3 or 4 gallon reserve. I don’t know about the hesitation, but it’s not good for the pump when you run out of gas.

Ed B.