98 Isuzu Rodeo Starting Problems

Hey guys, I’ve got a question about my 1998 Isuzu Rodeo LS. I’ve owned it for about a year and a half and I haven’t had any complaints so far. However, about six months ago (you can see how quick I am to get on these things!) the car developed this little quirk. Whenever I get in the car and turn the key the car will try to start up but fails about half the time. It always starts on the second try but only sometimes on the first try. It seems to start easier right after I’ve filled up and is noticeably worse when I’m close to empty. This is my first car, and I’m not really a car guy anyways, so I’m not sure what the problem might be. Any ideas? Is this something I could replace with a buddy, or is it more serious/pricy then that? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Your fuel rail is losing pressure after shutdown. It doesn’t happen immediately, but it is slowly losing pressure. When you turn the ignition from off to start, you pass through run, which turns on the fuel pump. You are going through so quickly the first time that you don’t get enough gas to start. On the second try, you have enough pressure.

When you turn the key, you might pause at the run position for a second. It won’t hurt anything if you decide to not repair it. The problem is probably the fuel regulator and yes, you and a buddy could replace it, but I don’t think it would be worth it until it starts giving you other problems. It could also be a leaking injector.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice!

Ok, second question, where is the fuel pressure regulator on a 98 Rodeo?!?

bump

Others have given good suggestions, but I was wondering: How’s the frame on your Rodeo? I live in the snow belt, and my gf’s 98 Honda Passport (rebadged Isuzu Rodeo) has severe corrosion damage to the frame, which was discovered when a recall was done to replace suspension members that were corroded. (same issue) The rest of the vehicle has no rust.

I live in Kansas, so while it’s not exactly the snow belt we also get our fair share, and I haven’t noticed rust on the frame. I have one tiny spot of rust on the body (by the rear passenger side door) but that’s it.

Sorry to push this, but can anyone tell me where the fuel regulator is on this car? I know it’s close to the fuel rail, but I’m not sure where that is either. Thanks!

The pressure regulator is on the fuel rail. Here’s a picture of it.