98 Civic ex stalls while driving

But the two possibilities left in the ignition is the “Ignition control module” and the “Crankshaft Position sensor”
Or the possibility that there is a bad wire somewhere, but them it would be more random and at times it wouldn’t even start.

Yosemite

Agree with Tester. A story if you want or not. I had been having a hickup at speed under a load. Checked everything else so had the shop check the crank sensor. They said no problem. Next day on my way to work the car went dead on the freeway. No codes, plug a spare computer in and no luck so got a tow. The shop came back and said everything is dead, no spark so we’ll keep checking. A few minutes later the showed me the sheared off crank sensor. Yeah it was bad and caused a NO SPARK dead engine. Along with the bum balancer and $80 tow, cost me $500. Time they got it all done I just went the 30 miles back home again.

So yeah, a crank sensor can cause a no spark condition and shut you down.

The crankshaft position sensor on your 1998 Honda is actually called a CKF - Crankshaft Fluctuation Sensor. It’s under the timing belt cover and behind the harmonic balancer. Its wiring is inside a flexible black plastic cover that is supposed to be clipped to edge of the timing belt cover. (I saw this all a few weeks ago when I replaced the timing belt on my 1999 Civic.) It was not easy to get the wire safely tucked in place. Possibly yours was left hanging after some earlier repair and is damaged.

I finally found the problem. The Piston rings are shot. I replaced the Pistons and rings and haven’t had it shut off once. But I don’t think that was the only problem because the whole engine has basically been redone. Only thing that didn’t get changed was the block

Thanks for coming back and updating us.

Wow. I was about to suggest a MAF sensor. My Escape behaved very poorly when ours went out.