97 infiniti

i need help please,do i hace to take the timing belt off to get to the water pump and if so what would be the best way so i don’t knock it out of line

Don’t Try This At Home ! . . .

. . . without a good service manual and a general idea of what is involved.

This is not something that can be adequately explained to you in this forum. You will need to align all the marks on the crankshaft and camshaft(s) and mark everthing before proceeding. Then don’t turn the crank or camshafts during the procedure.

I like to put reference marks on the timing belt and if it’s coming off then it’s rotation direction needs to be marked, but why not just replace it with the tensioner and idler.

Make sure all marks are precisely aligned when it goes back together and the timing belt is all aligned, rotate the crankshaft 2 full rotations and recheck the timing marks, before buttoning it up. It has to line up as it did before you started.

Get a book. Go by the book.

CSA

You Are Right To Be Concerned And Cautious. According To The Gates Timing Belt Site, Your QX4’s 3.3L V-6 Is An “Interference” Engine And Can Suffer Extensive Damage From Improper Valve Timing !

CSA

I Have Been Searching For A Description / Pictures Of The QX4’s 3.3L V-6 Engine And Cooling System, But Haven’t Found It. There’s Not A Lot Out There For It.

I’m not sure that the water pump is driven by the timing belt, nor am I sure that it’s not. There’s a chance that the water pump service does not involve the timing belt. The service manual will tell you or maybe somebody will post the answer.

Have you taken a good look at your car’s engine ?

CSA

I found several examples of water pump replacements: Here is just one.

I am an Infiniti service advisor. The water pump is driven by the timing belt. Perform a full timing belt service with new drive-belts, thermostat, water pump, timing belt, and ENSURE you replace the camshaft seals and crankshaft seal. There are quite common to leak. Also, be prepared for a crankshaft pulley replacement, which you have to remove anyhow to do the timing belt/water pump. The pully itself is around $250. The other parts run $200-400 and labor is 9.0 hours.

I would double check this with a good repair manual but it looks like the water pump is driven by the timing belt.