96 Honda Civic. Broke down while driving

Is that the ignition coil or the ignition control module? I have a distributor in the mail…I believe it’ll have both of those.

On aligning the dist. Do you just have to have the rotor pointed fairly close to the #1 spark or does it have to be really accurate?

Seems to me a few minutes verifying that power is actually being provided to the ignition before throwing a box of parts at the problem would be cheaper.
Especially considering the history of Honda ignition switches.

I found a distributor on ebay for $100
Changed the distributer and it started up!
It must have been:
*The ignition coil
*Ignition control module
Or
*Could have been the plug wires because… I didn’t have the rotor aligned properly before. (I was using the 4 plug instead of the 1)

If I’m driving it around the block…is there any chance that I don’t have something aligned properly? I put the dist. into cylinder head exactly like old one and turned rotor to #1 spark plug.

Thanks for all of your advice. Much appreciated!

You did set the ignition timing I hope?
Too much advance, some extended highway driving, and the engine could be toast.

Ok you’ve solved the problem, but have a Honda knowledgeable mechanic check your work. If you don’t have the distributor in just right, and you’re not sure if the rotor is on right - then you need someone to make sure everything is AOK.

A mistimed engine can blow a hole in a piston and all your efforts are down the tubes. It maybe running, but make sure it is running right. When you are driving around the block is it performing as it did before all this occurred; no bucking, no backfires, no hesitations? If yes, you are probably OK, but get it checked out anyway to be sure. An engine is a terrible thing to waste. Sounds like you done good.