96 Grand Cherokee dies randomly

Secondary ignition has also been replaced. Plugs, wires, cap

Doesn’t mean you have 12V on the coil, tho. It could be a bad connection.

From the sounds of it, you are chasing some old ghosts. It may help to start with putting the test light on the power lead to the ignition circuit after the ignition switch. You should be able to use a fuse tap in the dash fuse panel to monitor that point. Since the switch has already been replaced and if the lamp shows a failure at that point when the trouble occurs then you can suspect the trouble is somewhere before the switch. Another possible suspect for this trouble could be a relay. If a relay is used to power the PCM that might be an area to look at also.

Yup, I agree. That’s a very logical next step.
Troubleshooting intermittent problems is difficult. The only way to do it is to instrument the system with stuff you can see/read.
If it was easy, they’d call it ‘easyshooting’.

im gna shoot the jeep pretty soon

also so read that it dies at an idle or a stop sign ect.

I will set up the light test Remco and see what happens.
Sounds like i will need a test light for cougars suggestion its all getting a little overwhelming

I FOUND IT!
It was a bad connection. A design flaw I’d call it.

Great news! Could you tell us where the trouble was? I assume the bad connection was in a connector somewhere. The info could help someone else possibly later on.

I bought this rig cheap because of the problem. So im a little hesitant but its the right thing to do i suppose …

The PCM has 3 connections they all come together and pull down on the plug-ins. which causes a bad connection on the circuit board. It was the first plug in. I recreated the problem parked at an idle by pushing down on it. I took the board apart and soldered the first 3 connections. FIXED. People are spending $350 on a new PCM and its a simple solder fix.

I actually found the solution online.

Well good work Badbearing. This is the kind of thing that is good to know about and can help someone else later on. The problem sounded just like a bad connection somewhere from the first post. I would not have suspected it to be inside the PCM though.

Nice. Congratulations on fixing it. Good job.

Is there a pickup sock in the gas tank? My thought !

Thanks Guys

Correction: It was Not the PCM but the connection Too the PCM. There are 3 plug ins on PCM it was the first one (closest to the fender) after a good cleaning with electronic cleaner I slid connector on and off 6-8 times then blew it out with air. No problems for about a month now

Thanks

Thanks for the update Badbearing. This info will most likely help someone else down the road.

I’m sure it will help somebody. In my research I found it to be a problem in atleast 96-97’s