96 Chev Corsica Check Engine Light

96 Corsica 218K miles 3.1 liter V6

My check engine light came on an a read of the code at Auto Zone indicated insufficient EGR flow. The sales tech stated taht it could be the EGR valve ($170) or any sensor in that circuit. Is this true? I don’t want to do the replace each sensor one by one until I find the bad one as some of my friends have done. I found one at a bone yard ($50) that the counter person told me came from a running motor however when I asked if they could be tested they stated no. So should I just bite the bullet and get the new sensor in hopes that it will fix the problem? Any and all help with this is appreciated.

Thanks

KB

You could consider putting a person trained in auto repair in this equation. Is that idea not possible in your situation. As you can tell I am in favor of using a trained mechanic.Hope you don’t think my reply is harsh,just trying to say maybe this is not your area.

i agree,#2 what is a sales TECH?

Thanks for the feed back. Due to a recent illness I find myself in a economically challenged time and am trying to avoid spending as much on the repair as I payed for the car. I guess I was also hoping that someone well trained might respond to the posting and I hope my reply doesn’t sound to harsh either.

With the age and mileage, I would guess the problem is not a bad sensor at all, but a plugged-up EGR line. The EGR recirculates exhaust gases back into the intake. This lowers the combustion temperatures, and reduces the formation of NOx’s and SOx’s. With age, the EGR line gets clogged up with soot and carbon, and becomes clogged. Newer cars have sensors that check for good flow through the pipe, and will give this code if the pipe gets clogged up.

Get a Haynes manual, and it should walk you through the steps to clean or replace the EGR pipe.

Thanks for the reply. The sensor is easy to remove which I did do although I hadn’t thought the tube to the exhaust manifold might be plugged. I’ll hit the library and check the Haynes manual.