'96 camry stalls and stops for no reason

There’s 87,000 miles on this. And lately, when I’m driving slow in traffic, or stopped at a light,it starts stalling and turns off. When I turn it back on again, it drives fine…until the next time it stalls i.e. My mechanic can’t find anything wrong with it. Any suggestions?

Does this stalling occur anytime your foot is off the accelerator?

If so, the problem might be with the Idle Air Control/Bypass motor. This is mounted on the throttle body, and it’s function is to allow enough air into the engine to allow the engine to idle under all conditions.

Have your mechanic do this. Remove the air intake duct from the throttle body, and the IAC/BP motor from the throttle body. Clean the throttle body and the IAC/BP motor with throttle body cleaner. This should also include the idle air bleed port on the throttle body. Put everything back together, and see if helps with the stalling problem. If not, The IAC/AB motor might not be functioning correctly, and may require replacement.

Tester

Thanks for responding! This has happened 3 times so far…and I think it may have happened when my foot was off the accelerator. I’ll have my mechanic do what you suggested.