95 Miata for 16 year olds

True, but there’s far more physics that goes into the safety of a vehicle than just inertia. There’s a lot of technology that allows the inertial energy to be absorbed by and/or directed around the passenger cabin. As well as things like air bags.

But there’s another issue here… the ability of the driver to avoid having to use those technologies by having a car that doesn’t roll and lose control on entry ramps, stops fast due to its lighter weight, and can avoid bad stuff more readily. That’s where the Miata shines.

Ok. Let’s be clear here. All I was saying was that a 22 year old small car getting into a tangle with a large SUV or truck today would not fare as well as something larger (generally). I accept that a newer, smaller car will have some better features than a 22 year old car of any size. What the folks at MIT said (in case you didn’t read it all the way through) is that, in a head on collision, physics still favors the larger car over the smaller car.

All of the government crash testing is done into a fixed barrier, where a large car has no chance to transmit its inertia. In the real world, as my ex-wife found out, you are much more likely to hit another vehicle in a crash. Her crash was absolute proof of the science in the MIT article. She was in a Honda Accord that got totaled and she went to the hospital. The Suburban had a dented bumper and the driver of that vehicle drove home from the scene of the accident.

Lastly, I am not against the use of a 22 year old Miata for a 16 year old. But I am darned happy that my 19 year old is in a one year old Mazda3. While it may not weigh much more, it is definitely a much safer vehicle.

Well clarified.
But hey, one cannot live one’s life in fear. To my mind the Miata is perfectly safe, perhaps 1,000 times safer than my first car… a '61 VW Beetle. As long as the Miata is in good shape, I think it’s a fine ride for a youngster.

But I realize there are different perspectives on this. I acknowledged that in my initial post. And I respect that.

I say “let mom decide”.

3 Likes

The Miata can wait, why not give him an interim car, and after 3 years then let the miata go.

Be sure to ask your son what kind of car he’d like first OP. 16 year olds often prefer a car that has certain functional traits or is a little unusual looking, or is such a jalopy they don’t need to worry about devaluing it by customizing it to the way they want it to look using spray paint cans or gluing on sea shells etc. When I was 16 the only requirement for my car was for it to be able to make it up the canyon to the ski resort in a severe blizzard: i.e. good heater, good windshield wipers, studded snow tires, ski rack capable, and tough bumpers that even if dented, no worry.

@George_San_Jose1. Good point. My son could care less about what kind of car he drove from the time he was 16 until the present time at 44 years old. He would probably think a Miata would be uncomfortable. He has owned vehicles with a manual transmission, but he really didn’t care for shifting gears. He bought them because the price was right.

Found a year old article from Car&Driver from someone who was in a front end collision with a Ford Taurus in his 1996 Miata.

Bottom line: For vehicles of similar ages you’re less likely to die in a heavier car, SUV, or truck:

http://www.informedforlife.org/demos/FCKeditor/UserFiles/Image/fatality%20rates%20feb%202015B.png

Good article, Wolyrobb, and it makes a lot of good points.
One being that better handling cars can help keep you out of accidents… although there are no guarantees.
Another being that having a sports car is not an automatic death sentence in an accident.
Yet another is that airbags have dramatically changed the chances of injury in an accident, even in a small car.
I also was impressed that he commented that the driver that hit him said he didn’t see him and said “maybe if I’d had my headlights on”. I’ve always believed in driving with the lights on. I’ll never know but sometimes wonder how many accidents that has kept me out of.

I believe that accident prevention is far better than driving a big car. As regards a new driver, one common cause of accidents is losing control on exit ramps, entry ramps, and curves. New drivers have difficulty judging curves. I believe a better handling car is an advantage here.

As I said in my original post, I know others feel differently. I know there are those that think the bigger the vehicle, the safer the driver. But many of these vehicles have high centers of gravity and severe understeer. I don’t believe that’s safe for a new driver. The epitome of these weaknesses was the Ford Explorer. That one’s terrible handling was legendary.

1 Like

I really hope grandpa isn’t selling his 23 year old Miata to your son for $5000…

My vote is spend the $5,000 on something more reliable, newer, and safer. Your wife is right to be concerned about the safety of her son in this vehicle.

The thought is good, but any car under $5,000 will come with an unknown history and possibly a serious safety problem. At least the Miata is in known good shape.

I would hope he’s not wanting 5 grand for the car, too, since KBB lists the value, in great condition, for about half that for a private party sale.

1 Like

Glad to share my 21yo son’s experience, his 2nd crash in 1999 was in a used '94 Miata, in which we found pebbles of glass (previous accident or break in?) He was turning left w/yellow arrow w/buddy in passenger seat. Coming at them through their green light was a 17yo & his date in one of those seats-6 heavy sedans from the good old days, full speed, no signs of seeing anyone to stop for (showing off?).

This car was considered totaled.
A scratch or two on both of Miata occupants, nothing on those in heavy steel car.
Passenger Dad took is to hospital to insure no problems to talk with my insurance co. not a happy guy but he never was friendly anyway.

Another:
The Miata’s bigger brother was the Protege’, same engine, same fun to drive, except more weight/HP & seating for 5 … well, almost as much fun. This '90 Miata was turning left rather blindly when a large pickup truck came barreling through his green light. As the passenger, I could see him either winding his watch or using cell phone, looked up at last minute, turned his wheels so my door was spared but rear door & wheel was executed - broke the axle. Some sorority gals that knew him or whose house was friendly with his Greek house, came to save him with false testimony, so mine was dismissed, no tire skids measured to decipher the real events. We had NO injuries, thanks to that Mazda style.

Protection for 16yo would be OK if the assaulting car/truck was no larger/heavier/faster than what I described.
Ability to CONTROL this car until mid-college age is very doubtful.
If he has learned to drive a riding lawn mower, then he’s at least ready to drive an under powered station wagon … and that’s IT.
After no problems, graduation to a Miata mid-college would then be OK.
IMHO, father of 4, witness to the horrible driver lessons given in HS and no other formal training out there except truck/chauffeur schools. We did “in the day” have HS Rally Clubs whose weekend “races” practiced precision driving, safety and being at the checkpoint exactly on time, all within traffic laws. These guys were our best drivers.

I would Listen to your wife. Look for a Corolla.

@dagosa has a great point. If the wife has expressed concerns then you are now in the Kobayashi Maru scenario. For those “non-Trekkies” out there, it is the unwinnable scenario. If ANYTHING happens in that Miata, you will be subject to a lifetime of “I told you so”. I love my marriage more than any car, for me or my kids. Time to move on to something else!

1 Like

As a former 16 year old boy, the current parent of two 30 somethings and an avid sports car enthusiast, I’d say “No way!” on the Miata.

1. Remember “Let’s see what what she’ll do?” Well he will.
  2. A car that old will need constant maintenance and money, something he doesn’t have.
  3. In rain or snow RWD requires skill and experience, again something he doesn’t have.
  4. And most important, not if but when he has that first fender bender, if your wife isn’t completely on board with this, you will never hear the end of it!

Insurance companies know the risks of inexperienced, 16 year old, male drivers and price accordingly so use their pricing as a guide to an acceptable car for your son.

2 Likes

Ha ha
I was hoping he was thinking that way too. The Trekkie part was way over my head though.:wink:

2 Likes

One thing is for certain, though. If he gets the Miata, you won’t have to worry about him crowding his car full of his friends that could potentially distract him from the road

I have a '91 Miata purchased new, added a supercharger, and have driven it hard all its life. It has 230,000 miles on it and it just had its first mechanical problem: a leaky radiator.

However, the Miata begs to be driven at its limits. It would be a mistake to give it to a sixteen-year-old.

BTW, I have tried to correct my misspelled handle, but I’m stuck with it.