94' GMC Reverse Lights Issue Please Help!

I’ll stand by my original recommendation. The surge current when cold needs to be factored in.

The headlights I was referring to are the newer style halogen lights like the 9004 style. Using a 15 amp switch to run two reverse lights would be very conservative.

Hi all, I realize this is an old thread, but I didn’t see a remedy that works as it was intended to work. I have a 1996 c1500 4.3l/5 speed (mg5/nv3500). I tested checked turn/bu fuse #16 on drivers side of dash and it was fine. I climbed under the truck and checked the connection at the back up light switch. I then pulled the drivers taillight off and let it hang as I didn’t have anyone to help me. I jumped the two wires with the key in run and I got reverse lights to illuminate. I plugged the switch in and pushed the plunger in and I got lights to light up again. I looked into the switch hole and saw that the part that is meant to push the switch was worn. I didn’t like how far the switch had to be depressed, so I bought a new switch. I then put the new switch in the lathe and took .080 inch off of the shoulder and put it back in and everything works as it should. Sorry so long but I hope this helps someone.

1 Like

Great solution!

1 Like

Thank you! I couldn’t find a step by step procedure, so hopefully this will get someone going in the correct direction even with other vehicles.