92 Ford Probe GT: Oil Leak Problem

Hi. I my Probe is blowing blueish/blackish smoke out of the exhaust and I’m a bit puzzled as to the cause. The turbo was full of oil so I assumed it was the turbo leaking. I replaced the turbo with a used one and it’s still leaking oil. I’m now thinking that maybe the valves or piston rings are the problem but I’m not sure. I have another used turbo that I picked up and part of me wants to try this one on before going through the trouble of pulling off the head. My question is this: is it possible the piston rings and/or valves are leaking and this leak is pulling oil into the turbo and then the exhaust? Or is this impossible and the only way oil could get into the turbo is by way of the leaking oil seals within the turbo? I will eventually have the 2 old turbos rebuilt (if I can find somone local to do it) but I’d hate to ruin another good turbo with this trial and error stuff. The engine is a 2.2L 4 cylinder with 106,000 miles on it. Thanks!

It sounds like you should simply start by checking the compression. It should tell you much of what you need to know about rings & valves & such.

You are right…my brother ran a compression check and all checked out ok. He feels the replacement turbo is also leaking but he may be right. Thanks alot!
JCJ