92' car safe?

Years ago I read about a SAAB maintenance item which required the owner to pour used motor oil into body cavities in the car, draining the excess but basically coating the inside of the body panels with oil. Maybe we should go back to that. Rocketman

@rocketman I’ve had this done to 2 cars in the 70s when I lived in the Great Lakes Rust Belt. However, the oiler had to close up shop when the government outlawed spraying oil on roads for dust control and included spraying oil on any machinery to fight rust.

Farmers however still spray their plows and other tilling equipment with used oil.

There are people who use old oil as chainsaw bar oil around here. I know that isn’t good for the environment and would also think it would be too think. Most bar oil is 30W from what I can tell. Some is a little thinner for winter use but that is it.

On the Geo Metro like the ones I have, the 3 cyl engines are known for leaking cam seals. This is over on the passenger side of the car. The subframes are really known for rotting out on these cars. It is funny but the driver side seems to have it far worse than the passenger side which is often completely coated in oil from the leaking seals.

I pressure washed through all the cavities and channels in the subframe of mine, let it dry several days, and then sprayed Eastwoods internal frame protectant inside. There is also a product called POR15 that does the same thing. Both are rated well and cost about the same so it is your choice. I guess these contain hexavalent chromium so handle with care!