82 honda v45 750

IF THE fuel line inside doesn’t have any filter at the end try poking a coat hanger or smaller piece of fuel line up in the tank from the fuel fitting outside the tank if its clear through then just place a smaller tight piece of copper tubing up in there and the put the original fuel line back on and make sure the piece of copper line in there is above the bottom of the tank , now I wouldn’t ever let the tank go below 1/4 tank and you’ll never get the sediment into the carburetor that causes the problem . just and old fix .:bulb:

That is not really possible on this bike. It is not a normal bike. Honda seems to have been experimenting on a lot of things during this time. Everything is stupid. It has 2 fuel tanks. The main top tank drains into a second tank. From there fuel goes into a filter and a pump. It is a pain in the you know what to get at or remove the second tank called a reserve tank. Even to get a good look at it is difficult as it is hidden away.

I borrowed a brand new battery to test to see if that was the problem. It still shut off after 2 miles. I managed to get it to start for another half mile to get it home after turning it over for a couple minutes. I think that rules out everything but a fuel problem. I did order a fuel filter on eBay and will be getting it in a few days. I am doubtful that is the problem. But I suppose it is possible. It is getting gas after sitting for a while and once it is running and using fuel it cannot keep up enough fuel to the carbs and then of course to the engine and it shuts down. This is my best guess. Had a tractor with a similar problem. The problem was dirt in the line not allowing the full flow of fuel and when it ran to long and was overworked it would shut off. After 10 mins or whatever it would start up again for a while. I managed to clean out the line and it worked better for a while without doing that anymore.

But could it be a electrical problem? The horn does sound different at times. When it is running it is louder but when its not running it sounds like its baffled. I don’t know if that means anything. Just seems strange. This was with the new battery also.

I also plan to get a can a sea foam or a can of the Berryman b-12 chemtool total fuel system. Any suggestions on which one is better?

Have you tried loosening the gas cap to see if it’s a tank venting problem?

No I have not tried the gas cap. When I get the new filter in the mail I will try that.

Final update. I got the new filter in. The line from the reserve gas tank to the filter looked poor so changed that also. Well one of those two were the problem. I drove it the other day, was not to cold, for about 7 miles. Ran as good as it ever has. Starts right away cold or warm. Should be all fixed. Thanks everyone for your help.