80+ yr old IDIOT

From reading this post I cannot say rhe older gent is an idiot, there is nothing that even hints that his behavior is abnormal, stupid or offensive.
What I do read is that 8&sand is a small minded person who is shallow in character and lacking maturity.
Please do not post here anymore, go play dungeons & dragons with your friend.

WOW!
Maybe I jumped the gun a little!
I typed in a hurry, as I normally do, I guess you would have had to of been there (the situation I spoke of) the car wasn’t a hybrid & there wasn’t anything wrong with it that was noticeable & it wasn’t just the shutting off of the engine, it was multiple things, mainly his driving & endangering other people, call it luck, there definitely should be mandatory driving exams after a certain age!
To each his own, 1st impression’s are everything, as I have made one on many of you, just like this IDIOT made one on me.
HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE!

" If you have an electric stovetop do this; put your hand on a burner/element, next put turn the burner on full for about 3 to 5 seconds. Then turn it off. You will find that even though you turned the power off quickly. The element will continue to get hot for another minute or so even if though you only had the power on briefly. This is the same principle that causes an engine to actually get hotter right after you turn the engine off. "

No, this is also obviously wrong. Your principle is unfounded. There is a very simple principle in effect here: There can be no increase in heat without a source. What you are describing is a REDISTRIBUTION of heat, but nothing gets hotter without the addition of heat. After you turn the burner off it does not get hotter. It may get hotter on the outside as the heat transfers from the inside to the outside, but it on the whole does not get hotter. If you believe otherwise explain to me where the additional heat is coming from.

The same principle applies to the engine: shut it off and no additional heat is being generated. Thus it takes less to effectively cool the motor. The heat is being redistributed, but there is no additional heat being added to the engine as a whole.

I typed in a hurry, as I normally do,…that has nothing to do with this

the car wasn’t a hybrid & there wasn’t anything wrong with it that was noticeable & it wasn’t just the shutting off of the engine,…so freaking what, it’s a semi free country and he can do that if he wants, let him go

it was multiple things, mainly his driving & endangering other people,…i realize seniors can be a danger but so can teens, the 20-30 age bracket can as well as the 31-40, 41-50, 51-60, etc. etc. You know, talking on the phone, texting, eating, driving with a knee and trying to look cool. with that said, i must say in their defense i have never seen a senior driver doing any of these. in general, people are dangerous.

there definitely should be mandatory driving exams after a certain age! …agreed

I remember the TTYs of the 1980s - the only shorthand I remember is GA (Go Ahead) and SK (Stop Key).

I’m seeing a lot of people doing this now and a few vehicles haven’t started back up lol (older cars mostly). It doesn’t bother me since I switched to a motorcycle now and get 62 mpg, plus if the guy in front of me kills his starter I can easily get around his car now. To me I would rather it idle for a min or two then start and stop the engine 20 times a day and put more ware and tare on it, but whatever works for them and doesn’t impact my driving.

gets over in the turning lane about 2500 to soon

How can you get into a turn lane too soon?

What is 2500 too soon?

8&sand:

Should there be mandatory driving exams after a certain age? Definitely

Should there be stricter driving exams for everyone who obtains a driver’s license for the first time, regardless of age?
Definitely

Are you and I both being judgmental?
Probably

That being said, I guess that you must still be typing in a hurry, or maybe YOU really are the idiot, as I again note at least six grammatical errors in your post.

Should there be stricter tests of writing ability in order to be able to graduate from high school?
Clearly

Sounds like he is just being considerate to the traffic that isn’t going to turn while he coasts down to a stop without thowing a lot of energy away with his brakes.
I would bet that to him, the people who accelerate towards each and every red light and let their engines idle away burning about 1/2 gallon per hour while going nowhere, look like idiots.

I bet he laughs at the hybrid owners who get worse gas mileage than he does.

Should there be stricter tests of writing ability in order to be able to graduate from high school?
Clearly

Yes! I love this post.

TTY shorthand

That’s right. Started using it in the 70’s. Personal E-Mail in the 80’s…And message boards (call Notes Files) also in the 80’s…used a shorthand that evolved from TTY.

Here’s what’s missing. It’s NOT the source that’s getting hotter.

When you turn an engine off the water stops circulating. At the point before the engine is turned off the water temp is around 210 degrees (assuming it’s a 210 degree thermostat). But the engine block is probably at 300 - 350 degrees. You turn the engine off…The water stops circulating…the engine starts to cool, BUT it’s still hotter then water so some of that heat is transferred to the water…THUS the water is getting hottter. Then after a while the engine block temp will decrease below 210 and then the water will start decreasing.

As for the electric Stovetop…It is a VERY SOUND principle and foDaddy is 100% correct. You are NOT feeling the direct heat from the element. You are feeling the heat from the coating around the element. The coating over the element is NOT as hot as the element is (at least not yet). When you turn the stove on the element temp will rise at a certain rate, but the coating around the element will rise at a slower rate. When you then turn it off the element is hotter then the coating…thus the coating will temporarily get hot until the element and coating are equal…then they’ll both start dropping.

Ahhh, ware and tare…VDC, I’ll defer to you on this one.

Thanks Jad, but I think that I am done “shooting fish in a barrel”–at least for today.

I don’t know if we’re on the same page here or not but consider this, and when I refer to engine it’s meant as the engine proper; block, heads, coolant, and all. Many cooling fans operate after the engine is shut off. Many times these fans are nowhere near operative at the time the engine is shut down but may cycle on afterwards and run for X amount of time.
Cases in point.

A Chevrolet. The fan sensor (located down on the block and not near the top of the system) will close at 214 degrees even though the coolant temp was at 190 when shut off.

My SAAB. The fan sensor (located down on a finned radiator) closes at about 200 degrees and will cycle on and run until the temps drop enough. In some hot weather market vehicles there is even a time delay relay used to cut the fan off and prevent battery run-down in the event the fan has to run too long.

Also, back in the early 80s when Subaru was having absolute fits with vapor lock problems on their cars I had to attend a week long school one time. Approx. half of one day was devoted to a discussion of vapor lock, current modifications designed in an attempt to cure this problem, and procedures.
The instructor stated at the time this problem mainly occurred in warmer weather (no kidding) and was due to what he referred to as a “heat spike” or “heat flare” that occurs after the engine is shut off. This in turn was causing much of the problem at the time.
If the factory and the instructor state there is a heat flare then that’s good enough for me.

Maybe we’re not on the same page here but that is what I mean when I say the engine has a heat flare after shutoff. Bottom line is that the temp spikes lead to cooling fan operation, radiator cap hiccups, etc.
In the case of the SAAB you see the coolant in the radiator itself getting hotter after engine shutdown.

Fair enough! :slight_smile:

“Maybe we’re not on the same page here but that is what I mean when I say the engine has a heat flare after shutoff. Bottom line is that the temp spikes lead to cooling fan operation, radiator cap hiccups, etc.
In the case of the SAAB you see the coolant in the radiator itself getting hotter after engine shutdown.”

I completely agree with your last sentence. It is the COOLANT temperature that spikes, not the temperature of the overall engine.

But the original (mistaken)point was that turning the engine off would make the engine hotter rather than colder. You have just proved that this isn’t true, since, as you say, the coolant gets hotter with the engine shut off. That heat comes from the engine. With no additional heat being generated since no fuel is being burned, the engine gets cooler.

Consider this: with a substandard cooling system that loses ground at idle because it can’t dissipate heat fast enough, every time a cylinder fires more heat is added that the cooling system can’t handle. Turning the ignition off stops that cycle, stopping the heat from being generated. The fact that the coolant gets hotter doesn’t mean that the engine gets hotter.

I think there was a misunderstanding. I was implying the coolant is gets hot, and since the passages are part of the engine, the engine gets hot. I should’ve been more descriptive.

FINALLY!
I was waiting for someone to point this out. I’m a 60 year old IDIOT who shuts off his engine at long lights. There are a couple of them on my commute and if the light has just changed against me I know I’m going to sit there for a while.

I am driving a Toyota pickup the EPA says is to get 14 to 17 mpg. With this trick and all of the other STUPID THINGS I do I am getting 22mpg. Gas here is over $4.50+ a gallon and 5 mpg saves me a buck a gallon. I’m trying some more STUPIDER THINGS to see if I can get to 23. I am curious about the rationale (I am not sure how to spell this) for jack-rabbitting and pounding the brakes, rushing here and there etc. I get where I’m going and that’s enough for me. I do try not to be too big an irritation on the highway, but I have to recognise that some people are going to be irritated no matter what I do.

From your lips to God’s ears…this WILL be you when you’re 80 !!!