'79 Toyota 4-Runner

I changed the timing belt at 105,000 miles and it continues to run like a dream. But I noticed in one of Tom & Ray’s columns that they advised a lady with a Volvo to change the water pump at the same time. Does that hold true for Toyotas?

If the water pump is driven by the timing belt, it makes sense to change them together. If the water pump is driven by another belt there is no reason to replace them at the same time.

The reason they recommend this is because you have to remove the same parts to replace the belt as it does for the pump. So as long as you’re in there you might as well replace the pump also. I replaced the pump every other time I replaced the belt on my pathfinder. The pump wasn’t powered off the timing belt…but you had to remove the timing belt in order to remove the pump…

I believe this engine (89 with a V6, right?) has an externally driven water pump so there’s no specific need to change it while the timing belt is being changed.

The OP says 79,I am suprised it has a belt,would this not be a 22R engine?

I’m guessing it’s a typo. I think 89 was the first year with the V6, which had a timing belt. If it is actually a 79, or an 89 with the 22RE for that matter, then it would have a chain and doing a water pump replacement at the same time would be even less relevant, other than that you have to take the water pump off to do it and since they’re cheap why not replace it.

But even on the '79, doing a timing chain at 105,000 miles would be extremely unusual, so I’ll bet it’s an 89 with a V6.

I believe this engine (89 with a V6, right?) has an externally driven water pump so there’s no specific need to change it while the timing belt is being changed.

That depends on where the pump is located. If it’s located behind the timing belt like it is on the Pathfinder then it’s worth changing it when you do the belt.

If you want to change the water pump, here are the instructions. But, I wouldn’t, now, until it developed a problem…say, at 40,000 miles from now. http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairGuide.htm?pageId=0900c15280037357