$767.32 Rip-Off? Lexus 30,000 mile service

With all due respect, you were ripped off. But you can still have the dealer do it if you negotiate the following way.
No one should ever have to pay this much for 30 k sevices. Don’t have them do any other scheduled mileage big service.
Do everything a le carte
The oil chnage and filter, fine
Rotate and inspect tires , once, fine.
The air filter and cabin filter you can do yourself and save loads.
Brake fluid, is optional. I have never had it replaced except at a brake job.
Wheel alignment, optional. If the tread wear is even, forget about it.
Next, you tell them, all the inspections, you want done for free, and if they find a problem, they can check with you and the fix will be just an added repair they can get paid for.
Every dealer I have ever had, I told them this and they have all done the inspections for free.
My vehicles are 4 wd, so diff and transfer case oil changes I have done at 30 to 40 k miles, independent of the a big service and schedule t with an oil change.
My 30k tune ups are less then $150 for a sedan, including the filters I bought myself from a parts store
When a car is on a lift, these inspections should all be done for FREE.
I have Toyotas and the dealers have always done this for me. If they didn’t, I will go to another dealer for my next car and shop for an independent who will.
I have a cousin who was sevices manager and he always told me, mechanics do all the inspections on all oil changes looking for repair work. You don’t need to pay for it. Go by your service manual from the manufacturer on specific items you need done. You need not do these big mileage, big money making gimmicks.

“With no torque wrench, I can’t torque the lug nuts to specification”.

Robert, I take this to mean that you do not have a torque wrench, not the shop. A craftsman basic torque wrench sells for about $20.00, well worth getting one. I have had mine for many years and use it frequently, mostly for lug nuts, but find I need it for other work on the cars. Harbor freight sells them, surprisingly more expensive. This would be a good tool to add to your collection.

Toyota products are really good and they tell you when something needs repair, beyond routine fluid and filter changes, either by visual inspection or obvious mechanical aberrations long before they become unsafe. Everything else can be handled by am experienced visual inspection which should ALWAYS be free. Theoretically, just doing regular factory maintenance and being attune to changes in your car, and a Lexus will out live you.

To do anything less as part of a scheduled oil service maintenance is just low-budget hack.

To be fair, pretty much everything sold at Walmart is low-budget hackery. Even the brand name products are often a special version of the brand name products that is made more cheaply than the same brand product you’d get elsewhere.

If you take your car to Walmart and expect white-glove service… Well, then I’ve got some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you. :wink:

My dad was so busy with his job that he didn’t have time to do routine maintenance or to learn how to do it. He was pretty much at the mercy of mechanic’s and garage’s and dealership’s. My mother, too. Some of them enjoyed ripping them off. Others were careful and fair, but they never really understood what was being done or if it was really necessary. But, he did know how to give people hell, if he suspected something was amiss. Eventually, they found someone who was a genius at all things mechanical/car-repair related, a crackerjack ace, and honest as Abe. He was so busy, it was tough to get an appointment with him. He spent most of his time helping people who couldn’t afford to pay. He’d only charge them for parts and occasionally, a few of them wouldn’t pay him for the parts.

With a 4-wheel alignment included and all that other stuff, provided they do it correctly and within one day or provide you loaner, it definitely seems a reasonable price to pay for those services. Not a deal, but surely within the range of fair prices. Make sure to double-check all the fluid levels before leaving the shop and again the next morning.

My main concern w/using a dealership for this isn’t the price quoted, but that it isn’t an uncommon thing reported here for dealerships to use these scheduled maintenance forays while the car is on the rack to find add’l revenue enhancing work to recommend, most of which is tough for the owner to know whether it actually needs to be done or not. For that reason were I in this situation, except for warranty work, I’d be inclined to use an inde shop that specializes in Lexus.

@Robertgift That is the dealer recommended 30,000 mile service, the alignment, tire balancing and wiper inserts are not on the factory schedule. It is up to the customer if they find value in these additional items.

The factory 30,000 mile service where I work is about $450 plus shop supplies ans tax. This includes a 2016 Lexus loan car and car wash. If you don’t want the loan car you can save money by choosing an express lube plus filters and a brake fluid flush. You can save more money by having the work done at a Toyota dealer, you may have to sit in the lounge and listen to Corolla owners tell you how to save money (it seems they found a way to take it with them).

@GeorgeSanJose Independent shops look for up-sells as well, you wont get a free brake job or free tires from an independent shop.

you may have to sit in the lounge and listen to Corolla owners tell you how to save money

lol :wink:

@uncleharry

“He spent most of his time helping people who couldn’t afford to pay. He’d only charge them for parts and occasionally, a few of them wouldn’t pay him for the parts.”

May I presume that he eventually went bankrupt?

Being fair and honest only goes so far . . . at some point, you have to worry about overhead

At some point you have to realize a business is supposed to turn a fair profit for the owner(s)

He was so busy, it was tough to get an appointment with him.

Apparently he missed the next step to running an auto shop. When you are that busy you raise your prices (without lowering quality) to create a more manageable work flow, resulting in less work for more income.

I strongly suspect that if some on this forum were:
A. Running their own shop they would be bankrupt sooner rather than later.

B. If they were in a service manager’s position they would soon be looking for employment elsewhere.

C. If they were a dealer there would soon be a new sign out front with a different name on it.

dagosa: I also had never heard of a brake fluid flush and fill as scheduled maintenance until I joined this forum. It is not listed in my owner’s manual and has never been suggested at the dealership. I agree changing engine and cabin air filters yourself is a huge savings.

@ok4450

You’re right

I know my limitations

I’d like to think I’m a decent mechanic, but I know I would be lousy at A, B or C

I strongly suspect Harry’s story is made up . . . as are many of his stories, IMO . . . or the story is true, and that mechanic he mentioned eventually killed off his business by catering to non-paying customers and other sorts of deadbeats

When a car is on a lift, these inspections should all be done for FREE.

There’s a difference between looking over a car that is already on the hoist for obvious emerging problems or maintenance issues, and performing a 30K service that requires specific inspections.

I’ll gladly give your car a quick look-see while it’s here. But if you want me to perform an inspection that requires me to check and sign off on your ball joints and tie rods, measure and report your brake lining, and record and document the condition of several other components in written form that you can use to maintain your factory warranty, you’re going to pay for it.

I never go into another business and ask for products or services for free, other than perhaps a glass of water at a restaurant. I expect to be paid for all the work I do, and accord others that same respect.

He took early retirement. But, he probably worked harder in his retirement than when he worked full time. Although, while he was working at his job as an electrical engineer for Bell Labs, when he got home in the evenings, he spent most of his free time helping others with their cars, houses, farm equipment, appliances, etc. When he retired, he worked-in his free time-more than 40 hours a week, still fixing people’s cars who couldn’t afford it. He stopped doing roofing work just recently. He still helps build additions on houses and volunteers at a camp several hours away, repairing their structures. He installs heating and air conditioning equipment and was a scout leader for about 40 years.

there are heroes in the seaweed
Leonard Cohen

Lexus=luxury car. Dealership=$$$ in just about everything. Seems reasonable enough.

“At some point you have to realize a business is supposed to turn a fair profit for the owner(s)” db

Who said he was running a business?

asemaster, “Apparently he missed the next step to running an auto shop.” He never ran an auto shop, or any business, unless that’s what you want to call his garage.

db again, "I strongly suspect…"
try being less suspicious and not calling me or insinuating I’m a liar. You look silly doing that db.

Performing repairs for free or insisting that all inspections should be free is outside the realm of sanity; way, way outside.
Too many do not seem to comprehend or realize that the main factor in a shop’s success and a mechanic’s paycheck is time. Too many want some of that time for nothing.

Person A wants 5 minutes, person B wants 10, person C wants 5, person D wants an hour for free and if allowed to continue the “Closed For Good” sign goes up and/or the mechanic is going to the thrift store to find shoes for the kids.

People who work in the trade, and ESPECIALLY at the new car franchise level, know how maddening the loss of every minute is during the day for any one of a dozen reasons.

If the same logic was applied, that would mean if someone went to see the doc for a problem the patient would then expect a full free checkover since they’re going up on the “rack”; a.k.a exam table… :wink:

He volunteered to help those who couldn’t afford a professional mechanic. He helped thousands of people, for free. I know him well. He’s gold. He was frugal and a smart investor and he has patents with Bell. He did well financially, making a good salary with the Lab for decades. He lived and still lives very modestly. Most would never suspect he has 2 nickels to rub together.