72 Buick Skylark, Seized engine. Need advice

ok. even a cheap caliper will tell you if the bore is stock or 020-030 bored over
cant count how many times i have used a caliper to measure a bolt dia or drill bit. sure is handy. mostly on metric/std bolt confusion

The engine is completely disassembled. We Ran into a small issue checking details on rebuild kit parts. The rockauto kit i planned to use comes with pistons that are too big, 4inch pistons, my bore is 3.8 inch.

We broke what looked like a oil splash guard on the back of the piston banging the stuck one out. There is a piston kit on there that will Work, i plan to call them tomorrow and see if they will let me sub/upgrade to the 3.8inch pistons.

Summit also has a solid piston selection, and even sell singles.I may well just buy a single to replace the bad one. Going to post some links to summit and the pistons that will work from rockauto. Also a seperate re ring kit, and overhaul kit, and a link to a buick forum ive been talking in too.

If you Have followed this project this far and contributed at all thanks a ton! Please keep the ideas and information flowing. I ordered the connecting rod off ebay too.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5542857&cc=1023028&jsn=10&jsn=10&jsn=10&jsn=10

this ebay rebuild kit seems nice but is at the very top of my price range.

this re ring kit looks solid, but not as complete as some other kits.

and finally the other forum thread ive been posting, http://www.v8buick.com/index.php?threads/72-skylark-350-rebuild.338531/

Better double check your kit. You may have received a Chevy 350 set rather than Buick. Chevy had a 4.0 bore.

If the rebuild kit has a rope seal for the rear main seal Iā€™d suggest not using it. There is a conventional seal available as a retrofit.

Also, be sure to pack the oil pump with petroleum jelly for the first start up. The oil pickup is long and hard to prime.

1 Like

I havenā€™t rebuilt an engine in a whileā€¦but every time I did - and it needed machine-shop work (most did), Iā€™d buy all my engine parts (pistons, bearings, rings) through the machine-shop. That way I didnā€™t have to guess on the part. Their prices were a little higher, but well worth it.

ezgif-4-71c4610797ba

Well its been a whileā€¦ bad southern weather and other projects delayed this one a bit. But, its all back together and i took it for its first test drive sunday. Ended up going with a Northern Full rebuild kit, about 520, replaced all bearings, all seals, camshaft, pistons/rings, lifters, rebuilt oilpump, did a home valve job (hand lapped) new plugs, points/condenser.

Ended up getting a replacement rope seal that first one was crap, but the second was rope as well, just pressed better. Painted the block, got a Timing light today from harbor freight.

3 Likes

First test drive.ezgif-4-0a51e196bb9a

2 Likes

Quite an accomplishment to get that back on the road. Congratulations!

Oh and i forgot the 3 cracked exhaust valves. Replaced those.