7-spoke wheels

What’s the math for 7-spoke wheels I see on some hondas and nissans? 7 into 360 doesn’t give anything useful. Thanks

I’m afraid this question makes no sense. What do you mean?

Some people think that using a prime number for anything that is rotating will prevent resonance. So you will see 5, 7, 9, or 11 spokes, lugs, pattern segments, etc.

However, it doesn’t seem to make much difference as there are plenty of 4, 6, and 8 spoke, lug, etc. used - and apparently without problems.

Not to mention that sometimes, this just for they way it looks.

It’s just for looks. Get what you want, and forget the ‘urban legends’. Resonance has more to do with tire construction and tread pattern. The rest are vapors.

My calculator says 51.428571428571428571428571428571 degrees between spokes.

Whats the story with that repeating number sequence? It has been pointed out to me several times.

The repeats mean nothing.

It boils down to being 51.4 degrees.

Some people think that using a prime number for anything that is rotating will prevent resonance. So you will see 5, 7, 9, or 11 spokes, lugs, pattern segments, etc.

Obviously they’re NOT mathematicians.

Some numbers just do that. The square root of 2, for example, is 1.414141414141414 and it just goes on like that forever.

You have numbers that repeat without any pattern at all (pi for example) and numbers that repeat with patterns (like the two examples given)Decimal notation for irrational numbers neither terminate or repeat,decimal notation for rational numbers either terminate or repeate.

Its more than a just do that thing,different mathmatic techniques used for rational or irrational numbers.

It is purely, totally, 100% about looks. There is absolutely zero engineering reason for using 7 spokes. And zero engineering reason for NOT using 7 spokes, especially with today’s CAD/CAM systems.

One point I will add is that a wheel with few spokes (seven or five) that has thin spokes (a long arc radius unsupported by spokes) will be more prone to pothole damage if the rim and/or the interface between the spokes and rim is/are not designed to compensate. I’ve seen rims out there that I’d never trust.

Thanks to all for your 7-spoke wheel replies, the resonance inhibitor theories are most interesting. I originally thought there was a math solution for dividing a circle or 360 degrees into 7 equal parts other than repeating numbers. I believe there is a solution for 13 divisions that earned an English mathematician an award, maybe a Pogo Stick.

I recently say a project car where they were doing whatever to gain mileage. They used nice flat wheel covers that they figured would gain about 0.2 mpg. Of course if you are going to be using the brakes a lot, I would guess they might be more prone to overheating.