6 cylinders versus 4 (longevity)

You are right. The Audi in question has a turbo four banger and and naturally aspirated six cylinder. So they are not really good to compare for longevity. I agree with what you say about hauling heavy loads. That is one reason I refuse to tow anything with a four cylinder vehicle, even if it is a small truck with moderate towing capacity. I insist on at least six cylinders for towing anything.

One of the vehicles we have been using as an example for the purpose of this debate is the Honda Accord. Let’s look specifically at the four door sedan. The V6 has 1,117 extra CCs of displacement and it weighs about 370 pounds more. I guess that isn’t much of a difference. So this raises another question. If both cars have the same brakes and suspension components, won’t that extra 370 pounds lead to more wear to the brakes and suspension components?

Doesn’t your assumption ignore brake and suspension wear from carrying an additional 370 pounds? Doesn’t it also assume misuse of these four cylinder cars? After all, you would have to be crazy to drive through the mountains with an overloaded four cylinder car or tow with a four cylinder car. Even the V6 Accord is not made for towing. The conditions that you have listed would all be better suited for a six or eight cylinder truck.

In my opinion, the conditions which you describe as hazardous for four cylinder cars constitute abuse. If they aren’t overloaded, quality four cylinder cars can drive through the Rockies just fine.

Well, upstate, I believe you summed it up correctly, I hope Whitey reads your post above. However, I believe that larger engines with more torque also have more horsepower. Anyway, most 4 cylinder engines will work their tails off keeping up with most V6s. All the extras that whitey insists would burden a 6 would not equal the difference in power and would certainly make for a better car. Wouldn’t you rather have a car with bigger brakes, bigger radiator, heavier transmission, bigger tires etc.?

Yeah, I read on Car Talk that a straight 6 was stronger than a V6, but I doubt that very much. I guess we should consider that some V6s are not as good as some others.

Yep, it’s true that a 4 cylinder sometimes needs to rev faster and work harder, therefore it cannot compete with a V6.

Posted 12/19/2008:

This will be my last comment on this subject

What made you change your mind?

Posted 12/19/2008:

This will be my last comment on this subject

Let it go already! Obsess much?

I changed my mind because I couldn’t just let some of the ignorance go by unchecked.

In that case, would you please educate us ignorant folks with some evidence?

After reading your latest contributions, I thought you could not resist the urge to bicker. I had no idea your motives were so noble. I am sure such a learned teacher has proof to support her or his positions, so please share your vast knowledge!

I have a 2500 van with a V8. I guess I should have bought a 4 cylinder, HU?

all the more reasons to buy the 6

So now you are making the point that one should buy a six cylinder car so he or she can overload and abuse it instead of using it properly? That’s a new one, EllyEllis. So in your view, I should buy a vehicle that costs more to own, costs more to operate, and costs more to maintain so that I can ignore its cargo capacity? Now that is a level of ignorance I never thought I would see from you. Congratulations. That is the most ignorant thing I have heard all week. Thank you for the laugh.

I thought you were through with this discussion. I guess I should know better than to think you would keep your word.

Who said anything about overloading or abusing anything, besides you? You have to abuse a 4 tho if you plan on keeping up with a 6.

So, let me get this straight. “a 4-cylinder motor does rev faster, and sometimes needs to work a little harder, with proper care and maintenance, it can have a very, very long life.” You mean that an engine that works harder and has to rev higher will last as long as one that doesn’t???

“The conditions that you have listed would all be better suited for a six or eight cylinder truck.” There you said it yourself again. "Better siuted for a 6 ". And a 4 cylinder car is overloaded to start wirh.

I have been trying to educate some of you guys. I read once "never argue with a child, you’ll lose every time"
I don’t know a lot about modern technical stuff, but I have been doing all my repair work and fixing other people’s cars for 60 years and have a pretty good understanding of the working of an engine. Lastly, I bet I have forgotten more than you’ll ever know about engines.

I Vote For The Six Lasting Longer, In General.

A 4-cyl. often needs a turbo-charger or super-charger to wring-out some extra ponies in order to compete with the six.

I agree with FoDaddy’s pointing out that a turbocharged engine is inherently under more pressure than a normally aspirated one, more moving parts, one more system to fail.

Although the normally aspirated six usually has more moving parts than a normally aspirated four, the moving parts generally don’t travel as far. The pistons don’t travel as many feet, the valves don’t open and close as much, the crank and cams don’t rotate as many times, bearings, belts, pumps … , etcetera (you get the idea), because the sixes generally don’t need to rev as high to get the job done. Engine wear comes from how many times the parts cycle and how far they travel, all other factors remaining equal.

The deck is stacked against the little four, right off the dealer’s lot. I’m not saying that a turbo or super-charged four cylinder engine is a bad choice or is not fun to drive, but the question asked is one of longevity.

Salty Dog asked, "My wife and I disagree on whether spending extra money on the 6 cylinder version translates in the engine lasting longer (the logic that a 6 cylinder doesn’t work as hard over time). Is that a valid belief? "

I don’t have the specs for engine stroke and the revs to propel each unit down the road at highway speed, but they’re out there. Do the math.

Also, since he keeps their cars “forever” the extra money for the six would make sense. A person selling or trading frequently would have to look at how the 4 vs. 6 decision impacts the resale or trade-in price, but that’s not Salty Dog.

I don’t know how much more the six costs, but if it’s within reason, that’s the way to go. “Forever” can take a while.

Answer: Yes!

“A four cylinder engine doesn’t necessarily need to work any harder than a heavier six cylinder engine. The assumption that it does is problematic.” This is about the stupidest thing you have said to this point!!

But I thought you “couldn’t just let some of the ignorance go by unchecked.” If that was the case, why not share some of that vast knowledge rather than talk down to me? You compare me to a child and claim to know more than me, but you refuse to prove it. What have I done to you to earn your disrespect? Have I attacked or insulted you in some way? You seem to know so much, but you dangle all that experience in my face as if it should mean something without being willing to back it up with a single shred of proof. Why would you brag about your vast experience while refusing to share what you have learned? I don’t get it. You insist you are right and that those of us who agree with you are ignorant, but you refuse to prove it. It makes you seem very bitter.

Hurray for common sence. 100% correct!! If you haven’t already bought one, buy the 6, That’s SIX, a lot more fun than a vibrating underpowered 4.

I lost respect when you said “After reading your latest contributions, I thought you could not resist the urge to bicker. I had no idea your motives were so noble. I am sure such a learned teacher has proof to support her or his positions, so please share your vast knowledge!”