53 Olds dies

Interesting that it’s a 2bbl. Wiki talks about them using a 4 bbl for '53 Rocket V8s, and the only rebuild kit on Rockauto is for a 4 bbl. Wonder if yours has been refitted with a 2bbl?

There are fuel system specialty shops that will rebuild your carb for you. They’ll usually have a flow test machine so can verify it is actually working properly after the rebuild. For my carb’d truck (Ford, early 70’s), Rock Auto doesn’t even sell that carb, Autolite 2100, even as a rebuilt unit. They do offer a rebuild service option though, where you mail the carb and the rebuilt carb is mailed back to you. I’d prefer to have this done at a local shop myself, but that’s one option.

All the ideas posted above should be considered. I’ll add I’ve had that same symptom on my carb’d truck at least a dozen times over the years. Here’s the list of different things that has caused it, from most common to least common

• Vacuum leak, sometimes a vac hose has split, but usually some vacuum operated device has sprung an internal leak
  • Carb fuel- inlet valve jamming shut, easily fixed with a new fuel inlet clip
  • Idle rpm set too low
  • Fuel mixture needles on carb set too lean
  • Ignition timing set too far retarded
  • Carb needed to be rebuilt , I rebuilt it myself 2 or 3 times over the years, using a rebuild kit. I did it the last time just recently, and there’s a thread here where the Car Talk experts guided me through the process and helped me solve an unusual problem with the power valve.

The old jeep truck I referred to would sit & idle fine all day , try giving it some gas & it would die .

One other cause of the problem could be a worn lobe on the camshaft that operates the fuel pump. Disconnect the line at the carburetor and check for an adequate fuel supply.