5.7L Hemi V8 oil consumption

I have a 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T automatic, with the 5.7L V8. It has approx. 106K miles, no apparent issues.

I check the oil in it and the wife’s car every Saturday morning. I’ve been keeping an eye on the Challenger’s oil. It has a fairly narrow “normal” range on the dipstick, and this Saturday I noticed the oil level had dropped just below the low end of normal and into the top of the “Add Oil” range. So I went and got a quart of the 5W-20 (synthetic) it uses, and I added about 1/2 a quart to the engine. That brought the oil level to the upper “hole” on the dipstick normal range.

The oil was last changed back in January, at around 101K miles, using Havoline 5W-20 full synthetic. So it’s apparently burned up about 1/2 quart in 5000 miles. Based on what I’ve read both here and elsewhere, that seems about normal for this engine. However, this is the first Dodge (and V8, actually) that I’ve ever had, so I’m just gathering information.

I’m not concerned about this being a larger problem; everything else about the engine seems perfectly normal. The coolant looks normal, I see no leaks on the garage floor, and no indication of burned oil around the exhaust pipes. But, to ease my mind, I would greatly appreciate any opinions/thoughts from the learned group here. Many thanks.

Nothing to worry about, just keep your oil level checking schedule and if on a trip check at each fillup.

2 Likes

1/2 a quart in 5000 miles is quite acceptable. At 5k on the oil change, though, it needs changed. IMO.

Tester

The 2009 Dodge Challenger manual is a little confusing on oil change schedules. In one part it tells you to change oil within 500 miles of when the oil monitor tell you it needs changing, but in the maintenance schedule it says 6 months or 6000 miles.

It doesn’t seem confusing to me. The oil monitor comes on at say 4500 miles change it within 500 miles. If it doesn’t come on and you have reached 6 months or 6000 miles change it.

Thanks all. Sounds like I’ve got nothing to worry about, at least nothing unusual. And I planned on getting the oil changed in the next week or two. :slight_smile:

WOW!!! a half quart every 5000 miles.

The engines shot and you’ll just waste your money on this car.

Let me know where it’s at and I’ll hook the car dolley and come tow it away for you.

Just Kidding…nothing to be concerned about.

Yosemite