4WD weirdness in Chevy TrailBlazer

When I put my 2002 TrailBlazer into 4WD, it seems normal as long as I have my foot on the gas, but when I am “coasting” or just slowing down, the car feels like something is dragging on the engine is dragging–sort of like when one tries to drive with the parking brake engaged, or like when you shift to a lower gear in a car with a manual transmission and it slows the engine down. I don’t recall this being a “feature” I’ve had before. Whassup with this?

When you engage the front drivetrain, the drag is basically doubled, so it’s no surprise that the vehicle isn’t going to coast as well as it does in 2WD.

How long have you had this truck? Any noises while turning in 4 wheel? Regular maintenance on the transfer case?

Are the tyres all the same size and are they all worn about the same amount? Do they all have the correct air pressure. Not the pressure on the tyre, the pressure on the sticker on your car or in the owner’s manual (assuming no one has changed the tyre size from the OEM)

I bought it used 5 years ago. 148K miles now. Maintenance on transfer case has been ahead of the schedule in the manual. There is a slight “whine” sound when coasting. Again, feels/sounds much like the drag experienced with downshifting a standard transmission vehicle. (I would swear this is a new phenomenon this winter…) Also, tires are all relatively new–two are 6 months old, and two are one year old. Pressure is good & checked regularly. Ball joints were replaced 6 months ago (along with the two new tires) Wear is even now, but it is time for rotation. I drive this vehicle 7,000 to 8,000 miles/year.

Tires are all relatively new–two are 6 months old, and two are one year old. Pressure is good & checked regularly. Keep them at 35 PSI. Ball joints were replaced 6 months ago (along with the two new tires) Wear is even now, but it is time for rotation. I drive this vehicle 7,000 to 8,000 miles/year.