42 Speed Bumps

I drive over a total of 42 speed bumps each work day–21 when I enter the ramp at work and 21 when I leave the ramp. I drive a 2001 Saturn SL (standard transmission)and a 2005 Subaru Legacy Outback. When I am in a hurry I drive over them rather quickly. What type of damage or repairs can I expect when maintaining these cars?

You are putting extra stress and wear on components such as tie rod ends and ball joints, and you should be aware that wear and tear on those parts is a safety-related issue.

You are also going to wear out your struts/shocks faster, as well as possibly damage bushings in the suspension.

You may also need wheel alignment earlier, and if if wheel alignment is not done when needed, your tires will wear out faster than they should.

And, if you happen to hit the brakes as you hit a speed bump, you can cause problems with the brake hydraulic system which could be a real danger in the event of a panic stop.

All of these items are potentially expensive to fix, in addition to being safety-related. In view of that reality, wouldn’t it be a good idea to leave earlier, rather than drive quickly over those speed bumps?

Get a new parking spot. The most I could tolerate is 3 or 4. Then again, Ottawa has got the worst traffic management system in the flipping world. They put speed bumps right in the middle of friggin actual roads. The goofs. One day I will draw you a diagram of Ottawa’s worse designed multilane interchange.

Are these really speed bumps or are the rumble strips? If they are really speed bumps, someone has really gone overboard.

If they are really speed bumps, someone has really gone overboard.

You might think so but then again;

When I am in a hurry I drive over them rather quickly.

Perhaps if there were 43 speed bumps…