40 Below Cold Start

Thanks for the explanation. That’s probably why most people I know who live in an apartment, have some kind of an issue with their cars, parking, security or convenience. That’s a tough situation.

Just to continue, a word of caution, just starting the car is not the same as driving it around a little. The one time my Diesel Olds did not start outside was at a scout camp when it got down past 20 below. I went out about midnight and ran it but didn’t drive it. In the morning it wouldn’t start without numerous attempts at jumping it. Had I just driven it around instead I’m sure it would have reluctantly started. I don’t know why but I never just ran it to warm it up after that but would drive it until it warmed up.

Fuel injection and electronic ignition have made engines start better in cold weather. However, I was able to start my 1954 Buick at -15 degrees and started my 1971 ford Maverick at -21 degrees (actual temperature, not wind chill) and my 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass at -16. and these cars had carburetors and breaker point ignition systems.
The temperature here in east central Indiana hit -17 (wind chill -30) last night. Fortunately, our vehicles are in a warm garage. The real effect of this subzero temperature on our household is that our dog certainly whizzes out and back in quickly after a whiz.