4 wheel drive, 4 tires?

I/We blew a tire on an all-trac 1993 Toyota Previa. The tires are pretty good wear-wise and we don’t want to replace all 4. How important is it to do so to protect the trans? I have never done that with my Subarus. I know the tire place will push the full set and no one shaves tires around here.

You’re not going to buy four tires no matter what we tell you. You didn’t do it with your Subaru, where it’s critical, so why would you do it now?

It’s important to have matching tires on an AWD vehicle. The owner’s manual should have something to say about this.

Now go buy one tire.

…and suffer the consequences…

$$ for 4 tires vs $$$$$ consequences. a no brainer!

Seconded.

IMO if you want to play with the toys, you have to pay for the toys. 99% of the people with AWD don’t need it and got it because they like to think they do. That’s fine, but then they should be willing to pay what is necessary when you have an AWD vehicle.

It’s not 4WD it’s AWD. Usually it is four at a time. Your owner’s manual should say something.

If you are only buying one, then see if a tire shop in your area does ‘tire shaving’, they can reduce the size of your new one to approximately equal your 3 old ones.

He said no tire shaving places in his area. I have to wonder about how important everybody say 4 precisely matching tire are. Then how does running on a tire thats a few lbs low on air pressure come into play. This changes the height of the tire is probably even more the the new tire. So what gives…if you have a low tire and dont see it for a period of time you…

Right and what happens if you drive one of these prima donna cars on a constantly curving road?

“Then how does running on a tire thats a few lbs low on air pressure come into play. This changes the height of the tire is probably even more the the new tire. So what gives…if you have a low tire and dont see it for a period of time you…”

Decreasing the pressure in a tire is going to do nothing to the actual circumference of the tire.
Deflation affects only the size of the contact patch with the pavement and the distance between the axle and the pavement when you put weight on the tire, neither of which have anything to do with the actual circumference of the tire. Think about it.

McP,
I thought this site was safe from rude responses to questions posters, I guess not, thanks for proving me wrong.

It’s the internet…

No! Some tire pressure monitoring systems use effective rolling diameter to measure tire pressure differences between wheels. There is apparently some slippage of the tread when pressure is low.

Decreasing the pressure does increase the ‘tire rotations per mile’, since the distance from the rim to the road is decreased.

from the horses mouth…http://askville.amazon.com/replace-tires-AWD-car/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=2651049 and see http://www.ehow.com/how_4867056_replace-tires-awd-cars.html