3rd Gas Tank in 2 Years

TwinTurbo may be right but I’m still curious about where the tanks are leaking. The thought comes to mind if the leak is around a tank strap the cause of the leak could possibly be due to a missing rubber tank strap insulator or a strap that is not tight.
In that situation a heavy tank vibrating against the strap could easily wallow a hole in the tank.

I have to think that someone is overlooking something rather than all of these tanks being faulty and emphasis is being put on the symptom rather than the root cause.

As to a new original Toyota tank that will be near impossible. Car makers only support a vehicle parts-wise for about 10 years after the end of production and even that time frame is a stretch.
Unless some dealer got on the net with dealers across the country and found one collecting dust in the back room the odds of finding a new OEM tank are about zero.

COMMON SENSE ANSWER does not always equal POCKET BOOK POSSIBLE!

Years ago the local radiator shop would boil out fuel tanks and totally seal even rusted through tanks with epoxy on the inside and outside for a price much below the cost of a new tank. The shop owner has retired and the shop closed but I thought that such a repair was commonly done by radiator shops everywhere. Does no one offer such a repair these days?

Common Sense Answer, JB Weld is not gas-proof. Take it from someone who tried it. Gasoline dissolves JB Weld and will not stop a gas leak.

However, Permatex does make an epoxy patch that is fuel proof. http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/specialized_maintenance_repair/radiator_fuel_tank_repair/Permatex_Gas_Tank_Radiator_Repair.htm

The problem with junkyard fuel tanks, a lot of yards drill a hole in them to drain the contents. So, they do not offer them for sale.

Years ago the local radiator shop would boil out fuel tanks and totally seal even rusted through tanks with epoxy on the inside and outside for a price much below the cost of a new tank. The shop owner has retired and the shop closed but I thought that such a repair was commonly done by radiator shops everywhere. Does no one offer such a repair these days?

I think the EPA stepped in on that one. Plus…many radiators now have plastic parts.

I still agree w/OK, leakage after only a year points to some other contributing factor.

Rod, and for anyone perusing this thread in the future, POR makes a product for DIY tank repair and restoration. It works great. Used it many times on hard to find tanks from cars to motorcycles.

Thanks Twin Turbo. I may need that product on one of the “classics” that I drive.

I just don’t buy that these aftermarket tanks are failing due to poor construction. It would seem to me that a tank manufacturer would be asking for the Mother Of All Lawsuits if they produced tanks this shoddy and their failure led to a Hiroshima sized fireball in traffic.

Who knows, maybe the company producing those aftermarket tanks is also the same company that produces the original “factory” tanks for Toyota because I’m sure that Toyota Motor Company farms this out just like everybody else, along with countless other parts and assemblies that are assumed to be better because of the impression that the car maker actually produced it.

Used fuel tanks can be shipped without problems. It’s done every day. Just ask the military who move their life to another country…did they buy all new gas tanks, lawn mowers, weed eaters, blowers, cars and bikes? Nope. I never bought one. Everything went with me. Portable gas tanks and all.

Finding one in decent shape may be a task, but if you can find one, they can ship it.

I don’t know what city you live in but here in Buffalo NY we have several suppliers of parts from the south. Over the years I have bought at least 4 tanks from either “The Good Door Store” or “Southern Auto Body” and yes they transport used tanks all the time.

Give these guys a call: http://www.picknpullsa.com

They advertise they will pull for you, I’m not sure about shipping. They have several '95 Corolla’s on the lot (not sure about the wagon version), and with the very small amounts of rain we get down here, I’m sure that rust won’t be a problem. I’m also not convinced the wagon had a different tank than the sedan.

You can ask for pictures before you purchase. If they can find one, I can head down and check out the condition before they ship. It’s close enough I can hit it at lunch, and still actually get a lunch.

Tanks are $19.99, with a 90 day warranty, $15.74 just to get.