35 MPG Gas the same as 35 MPG Hybrid?

I like this topic and I hope it’s cool if I offer some new info. Doing research on a story today, I discovered that the new gold standard for hybrid car mileage is no longer the Prius family. Rather it is the Hyundai Ioniq (Eye-on-ick). The Ioniq Blue is the top-trim hybrid for fuel economy. That new model just released has an EPA rating of 58 MPG Combined. Here’s the interesting twist. It has an EPA HIGHWAY rating of 59 MPG. In other words, a hybrid that is actually rated higher on the highway. This is a midsize sedanish car like the Prius in most ways (call it a compact if you prefer). I thought it was cool to see a hybrid with a higher highway rating. It earned a 57 City rating. If I may also add, in my testing, hybrids have always matched or exceeded their EPA ratings, just as almost every vehicle I have tested has. 59 MPG is insane by today’s harder, more conservative EPA ratings. This is not a plug-in car I am talking about. Just a normal gas hybrid. At that MPG, this vehicle will have a dramatically lower cost per mile using gas than an EV its same size and shape would using electricity in my area of Mass where electricity is now about twenty cents per kWh or higher. At least until gas hits $3 again.

Is it not Hyundai who had some outcry from consumers and questions from authorities about over-inflating their EPA ratings?
I hope they did not do the same cheat this time :slight_smile:

Car itself looks nice, but too Prius-like to my view.
Reliability is also yet to be established, although I would not expect it to get close to Prius based on what I’ve seen of Hyundai before.