328i BMW and catalytic converter?

325i, 165,000 miles. BMW computer said cat converter gone. Indep mechanie says cat converter [he comes rec. by friend who has had him work on his foreign cars]. Mechanic at indep.garage also said it would be $2500 but could be a lot more because when he turns car on he can’t keep it running, it shuts down at about 5 minutes. When he turns it on he says he is seeing blue smoke which could be a much more serious problem. He says he cannot guarantee that fixing the cc will end our problems. The car was also 4 qts down and do not have any oil spots on driveway [not too happy with BMW for not catching this on our initial check-up.] He recommends better investment another car for daughter. Question is what do we do with this one. CARMAX will only give us a maybe 100-300. Is there a better solution? thanks!!!

Mechanics do not like to hear the generic phrases “blown up” “gone”,“bad” “needs replacement”. Perhaps I am asking too much as I know the publics knowledge about their cars is limited but ,what the heck is wrong with the cat?

Any way you can post a picture of this car? It sure is sounding like a 1991 not a 2001.

Thanks to all who responded. You were all very helpful. Wonderful site. Will use this site with questions again. Bought another car so the 325i is no longer.

We try hard to be "human"even if we are just bits and bytes.

Thanks for the followup post. We so rarely hear the end result, and we do appreciate it.

I think you made the right move with the 325i. Sincere best with your new ride.