3000 vs. 5000 miles?

It’s not important to know the difference between leaded and unleaded gas. The EPA issued it’s first mandate to reduce lead in 1973, with a phaseout to be complete by 1986. I’ve attached the EPA’s statement on the issue, right from the .gov website.

http://www.epa.gov/history/topics/lead/02.htm

Lead has an additive is history. The amount referenced in the site is naturally occurring in the refined petroleum.

orangevega,

Thanx for the tips! No, I don’t and I probably should. Umm, theirs the transmission fluid, I was told you dont need to top it off as often as your engine oil but don’t really know the conditions for changing that. As far as other fluids, umm, theirs radiator(?), coolant/anti-freeze, windshield wiper fluid, um, I know I am probably forgetting a lot of others. Please feel free to correct me and add in what I’m missing.

Ya know, I am pretty sure, to my recollection, Barney’s tops everything off for free with the oil change. I’ll have to ask next time I bring my car in. If that is the case though(his topping off fluids with my oil changes)what is the interval for me checking these levels? And, would they require topping off if he does this when I drop the car off for my oil changes? Thanx again you guys! You have been very helpful:-)

As far as the engine coolant, just look at the overflow bottle. It is a large plastic container that has a hose running from the radiator cap to it. It will have some lines on it that say something like “Full Hot” and “Full Cold” The hot and cold refer to the engine temperature.

The transmission fluid is checked with the engine idling at normal temperature and the transmission in PARK. You will probably not have to worry about this level if Barney hasn’t mentioned anything about it and you don’t have any red dribbles under where you park at night. Still a good idea to know how to check it. This is assuming you have an automatic tranny. If manual shift, Barney will have to check it for you. The brake fluid and power steering fluids are probably see through as well with full lines on them as well.

Again if you don’t see any dribbles under the car, you are probably ok here.

I see the OP wrote"thanks guys". This is usually the sign off after few hours of discussion. If rustytheruru is still on this thread, here is what I would recommend. You say you check your oil on a regular basis. Good. At what point do you add an entire quart to the motor?If it is at the 3000 mile mark, I would change the oil at that interval. I don’t recommend topping off at 1/2 quart low. I have found in my experience that the first 1/2 quart goes quickly, for some reason, but it takes alot longer for a vehicle to go through another 1/2 quart to be a full quart low. You trust your mechanics, but ask them what oil they are using.The owners manual has a chart for oil viscosity for different outside temperatures.Following this chart could help cut down on oil consumption.Changing your oil at 5000 miles doesn’t conserve oil{in a green manner] if you are adding oil. I always change oil at 3000 miles.I think alot of people don’t like the hassle or cost in this decision.I see it as cheap insurance for the motor. Again, you are not saving the planet if you are adding one or two quarts between oil changes.