30 hats puzzler

Tsk tsk, piter. Though the preferred nomenclature is in fact “little person” and not “midget,” I cannot permit you to mock nashbucket. And after you noted your request to mock him, he backtracked and disavowed them as bogus. See? How much fun is it to mock somebody who needs a vacation?

Do you mock me? snltranscripts.jt.org/88/88jmockme.phtml

" foooliver July 11 Report
…T&R, what happens when some hapless soul looks ahead and sees an even number of both black and white hats hmmmm??? Actually he is OK, but with your scheme the next guy has only a 50/50 chance of being right.
"

Thanks for your post. Here’s your score: WRONG WRONG AND WRONG.

The warden never said anything about the tone of voice with which you said the color. #30 would be the only prisoner with a 50/50 chance if he just said the color of the hat on the prisoner in front of him. #29 would then respond with the correct color
of his hat. If it was the color of #28, he would say it in a cheerful manner. If not, in a very dejected manner, thus giving #28 the clue he needed and so on. Actually rwee2000 has a better solution which requires only math and a cool head. It’s similar to the one given by Tom & Ray, but much less confusing.

Actually rwee2000 has a better solution which requires only math and a cool head. It’s similar to the one given by Tom & Ray, but much less confusing.

Without quarreling about your attribution, the solution you mention is the one given by Tom & Ray.

Piter, I love that skit. And I hope you’re imitating John McLaughlin, because that would make the use of shouty caps to indicate your disagreement a little more appropriate, but not much: http://snltranscripts.jt.org/91/91dmclaughlin.phtml