250,000 miles Subaru Forrester need to keep it going

I have a 1999 Subaru Forrester which just passed 250,000 miles. Its recently started smoking under the hood when driving it for long distances or at high speeds. I’ve also noticed a burning smell when I stop and get out. I’ve checked and filled both the oil and the coolant. I have no idea what’s wrong, nor do I have the money for a mechanic. Any help in diagnosing would be appreciated! Thanks.

You most likely have an oil or coolant leak. At the end of a good drive, getting the engine hot, open the hood and look for steam or smoke and hopefully you will be able to identify the location of the leak. It could be a simple fix, like a hose but obviously it could be much more involved. Good luck.

This will often be oil finding its way onto the exhaust manifold and getting roasted, but that’s only one possibility. We first need to find out what it is and where it’s coming from. The next time you see it smoking on the road, pull over, pop the hood and look around for the source of the smoke. With this amount of mileage, it could be virtually anything.

Keep hunting.

A great resource for Subaru is here, all DIY I believe >>> http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/