2025 Lincoln Zephyr - Won't start bad ECM

I have a 2006 zephyr it show the ecm was bad we changed the ecm and it still will not start

What showed it was bad??
Was it replaced with a new or used ECM??
Was the new/old ECM flashed/programed to your VIN number??

Check all the battery cable ends and terminals for corrosion and or loose/damage and all the grounds…

1 Like

Unlikely. There is no diagnostic code for a faulty ECM, at least for any car I’m aware. Don’t feel alone, I expect many ECMs over the years have been replaced which were still in perfect condition, due to misinterpreted diagnostic codes.

Suggest to forget about the prior failed attempt to repair your car & just start over. When you say your car will not start, explain more what it does or doesn’t do. When attempted a start, do you hear the normal "rrr rrrr rrr "sound indicating the engine cranking, but it never catches and runs?; do you only hear a single click? ; or do you hear nothing at all w/the key in “start”?

P0601 is common fault for PCM failure.

OP, is that the diagnostic code that led your shop to believe the ECM is faulty? That’s an unusual one, at least by reports we get here. If I encountered that code my first suspect would be a problem w/ the ECM’s power supply, unless a jump start was involved just before failure. ECM failure is more likely if the car has been used to give a jump start or received one.

“Usually, the P0601 code happens because of an issue with one of your control modules. That may mean that the control module itself is faulty or that the control module’s circuit is broken, whether through damaged wires or through a generally poor connection. It also can occur due to low voltage, whether because the battery is low or because the wiring isn’t working effectively.”

BTW: Suggest to edit the title with the correct model year.