2024 Toyota RAV4 - Leaks - Too soon!

same thing, 1100 miles on 2024 rav4 2.5L gas, leaking on driveway. dripping from th e rear of the oil pan. scheduled to go to the dealer for repair next week. is nothing made well these days? oil leak on a brand new limited edition car??

Would it of made you feel any better if it was a base/LE that was leaking?? Donā€™t they have the same engine??

Sorry you are having issues, but drive around to any new car dealer and look in the service department, they are all pretty much full of new vehicle warranty repairs and pretty much have been for a long timeā€¦

I would report it to Toyota Customer Service (800-331-4331). I think that is the correct number, if not it will be in your owners manualā€¦

First time Iā€™ve heard of a ā€˜limited editionā€™ Rav4. This should be simple for the dealer to fix.

Between now and the repair appointment make sure you monitor your oil level. Donā€™t want a small problem to turn into a HUGE problem.

3 Likes

Perhaps dealer added some aftermarket stuff to the car then sold it as a limited edition. Remember Lincoln Towncars? Some were sold as ā€œPresidential Editionā€ or ā€œExecutive Edition ā€, these cars had aftermarket vinyl roofs added, nothing else.
Or perhaps the OPs vehicle is an LE trim level which the OP believes means Limited Edition.

1 Like

Certainly. Cars are made well these days, better than they ever have been. Yours is under warranty and will be repaired for free.

Do you achieve 100% perfection in everything you do at your job?

6 Likes

+1
For a long time, Consumer Reports used to list the defects that they found in cars that they were testing. However, they ended that practice probably ~20 years ago because the number of defects in new cars was so small that it wasnā€™t worth wasting print in order to list them.

If the OP isnā€™t able to get this defect repairedā€“gratisā€“under the terms of his warranty, then he would have a valid gripe. As long as it is rectified, then he should just drive on, and be glad that he bought one of the most reliable vehicles sold in The US and that its warranty was honored.

1 Like

For example, hereā€™s a photo of traffic on a hot 1972 day in Toronto - look at all the overheated cars on the shoulder, you hardly ever see that these days (and I drive Texas freeways in 100F+ temps):

+1
Further proof that ā€œThe Good Old Daysā€ werenā€™t really that good!

When I was a kid, back in the '50s, overheated cars on the side of the road were very common. Even in the late '60s-early '70s, when I worked as a gas jockey, it wasnā€™t unusual to encounter overheated cars coming into the station in search of water.

Maybe they were just short staffed in the pre-delivery prep department. The have a long list of things to check and tighten. The myth may be getting broken though. Iā€™m not sure about a drop in manufacturing quality but I suspect dealer services have been on a downward trajectory. Enjoy the warrenty work though and the coffee and hope they get it right.

Thinking back, Iā€™ve had a few new car issues like paint, wheel bearings, transmission, and crank seal. All were taken care of no problem. Thatā€™s what warranties are for.

2 Likes

The Datsun SPL-310 that my SIL bought (circa 1968) came from the factory with an incredible number of defects. When we tried to have them taken care of by the dealer, nothing was doneā€“as far as we could tell. When we brought the car back for a return visit, the shiny-suited Mafioso-type guy in the ā€œserviceā€ department convinced my brother and me that it would not be good for our health if we came back again.

Cars have gotten a lot better over the decades, and I think that most dealerships have, as well.

2 Likes

Where was that RAV manufactured?

There seems to be quite a few complaints about oil leaking from rear of engine area with very few milesā€¦ As already stated, it is under warranty and Toyota will take care of the problemā€¦ Nothing much anyone here can do to helpā€¦

Why does that matter ? This is probably another one and done Car Complaints post.

From what I have read there have been other owners that had a leak from the oil pan. It seems they do not have a oil pan gasket just a sealer. There probably was not enough put on from the factory. when brought back to the dealer they resealed it.

My understanding is that sealants are now more common than gaskets.

2 Likes

Arenā€™t they pretty much sealed robotically now a days anyway?? Sounds like a glitch where the sealant wasnā€™t applied as much as needed or whateverā€¦ software issue??

3 Likes

Toyota has a great reputation for quality and standing behind their cars. Unless your dealer is a complete dolt your car will be fixed properly.

2 Likes

It could be many different reasons. Another possibility- Imagine one worker that tilts the pan and slides it into place, displacing the robotically applied sealer in the same place every time they install a pan. Then they have a rash of leakers until someone identifies the reason and they re-train that person so they do it correctly from then on- hopefully :slight_smile: Or supply chain decides that they can get pans from Joeā€™s Pans and Such, saving 50 cents a pan and not thinking about the possibility of a quality issue- what could go wrong? :grinning: Disclaimer- any resemblance to real persons, alive or dead, is purely coincidental- I never saw anything like this happen during my career :wink:

4 Likes

During 2022/2023 I saw several new 2022 Lexus RX350 (different vehicle, same manufacture) with leaking rear main crankshaft seals, the leaks identified before the vehicles were sold. A field technician was dispatched to document one of the repairs.

There were a few others that returned to the dealer shortly after purchase with similar leaks. New car buyers tend to lose confidence in their vehicle when they see the engine and transmission removed and a large hole in the front of the vehicle where the powertrain should be. They donā€™t want the vehicle back and a free cup of coffee will not restore their confidence.

Engine shown below removed for timing chain cover reseal.

1 Like

There are 6 trim levels.

1 Like