2021 Subaru Outback - So many problems

1. Airbag to passenger seat malfunction. Replaced 10/23. $1566.00 cost to me. Recently, I was reimbursed after submitting a claim to Subaru of America after a recall was announced.
  2. Thermal control valve failure. $900+ dollars. Replaced by dealers at no cost to me.
  3. Info system failures. Radio station jumping. Screen blacking out. “Stay Alert” warning flashing for no obvious reason. Similar warning popping up . Can’t hook my cellphone into system. Volume control dial on dashboard occasionally doesn’t respond. Appointment with dealer coming up soon. Why doesn’t Subaru test these systems before installing them? No wonder the warranty is only 36,000 miles. That’s when the problems begin.

Could be worse, you could have bought a 2024 BMW X5 transmission issues…

Drive to about any new car dealer and look in the service bays, most of the new(er) vehicles are in there for warranty work… Sorry you are having issues…

You could read up on complaints and manufacturer communications at NHTSA.gov. Go to the recall page and input the requested data. It will take you to a list of recalls, investigations, complaints and manufacturer communications for the 2020 Outback. Most complaints and manufacturer communications are electrical. Maybe some of them are like your problems. If you read them before your dealer appointment, keep the information to yourself. Let them do their job without kibitzing. If they solve the problems, then great. Otherwise you might formulate questions based on what you read at NHTSA.gov and then ask the dealer about them. No need to tell the service rep where you got your information from.

Regarding your entertainment system problems - after you get a diagnosis and repair estimate from the dealer I’d check for highly-rated auto electric and car audio repair shops in your area, see what they say. Could be a bad/loose connection or solder joint.

First thing I’d look at is battery condition and condition of the connectors to it.

Yep, battery and charging system condition is always a good place to start, a car parts store can test them for free.

Here’s what’s listed on carcomplaints.com under NHTSA electrical problems:
58 Complaints: 2021 Subaru Outback Electrical System Problems (carcomplaints.com)

I expect they do test them, and diligently. The tests must have passed at the time the car was built. Whatever failed, failed later. The problem you are having I expect is today’s vehicles are much more complicated than older vehicles, esp those from the 60’s & 70’s. But since you can’t buy vehicles from that era any more in new condition, the only option if you want a new one is to choose from the new cars that are available. Beyond that, do a little research (for example ask here) to see what other owners say about your potential prospects, and buy the most simple version of the make/model you decide upon that still meets your needs.

One of the experts here decided to investigate the cause of (IIRC) a electrical actuator failure their car experienced. It turned out the cause was some of the part’s manufacturing steps hadn’t been done . It worked for a while, but eventually failed. But there was no way to see that other than to take it apart. You can’t take apart everything in your new car just to look for any potential looming problems, right?

1 Like