2021 Hyundai Santa Fe - AC issues (always at the worst time)

Dear Mr. Magliozzi
My grandson inherited a 2011 Hyundai, Santa Fe (eco). 4 cyl, DOHC. The other morning he had to take me to the hospital. When I got into the car the AC was on but was blowing warm air. I asked him what the problem was and he told me, when he starts up the car and the car is in park the air will come out warm and stay warm until he puts the car in drive and drives away. The cold air will not come out cool until you are in drive and are moving. He in not a car guy and I am 83 years old having some problems so I can not go out to the car and get under the hood. I tried working over the phone with him but he doesn’t even know what the compressor looks like. He could not find it to see if it was going on and off in park. He said he didn’t think he head it either. He could not find the manual to see if this is a characteristic of this car and model. I gave him a thermometer to check the temp. when driving and it is reading 38F or 39F degrees .at the center vents. It would really be appreciated if you could tell us if this is normal or not. Thank you very much for your time and assistance in this matter. Richard DiCecco

Your grandson should take the vehicle to a shop to have the problem checked out, the radiator/conderser fan may not be working or the A/C pressure transducer may have failed.