2020 Honda Accord Sdn - The first 52 miles were perfect. Then

That is reminiscent of a particularly sleazy Honda dealership at which I stopped years ago, while car shopping. I allowed them to take my old car into the shop in order to assess its trade-in value. When I was ready to leave (without buying one of their cars), they claimed that they couldn’t find my car keys.
I stood in the middle of the showroom floor with my cellphone, and announced that they had 5 minutes to locate my keys, or I would phone the cops.

It’s amazing how they were suddenly able to locate my car keys, in the space of about 2 minutes. Needless to say, I would never return to that dealership.

2 Likes

Heh heh, you reminded me of the time I bought all new windows for my first house. It wasn’t long before I realized how lousy a job they did installing them, leaving parts out and they also leaked worse than my old ones. Quite a few back and forths with the company, escalating along the way with huge delays in response time from them. One day, they sent me an invitation in the mail to their big open house event. Guess who showed up at the busiest time to rattle off all the problems I was having with their top of the line windows? I had quite an audience of interested listeners and they tried to usher me off into a secluded office area. Some more competent company representatives showed up two days later to fix the problems…

6 Likes

Buddy is extreme nit picker. Basically reamed out window installers. After several attempts to resolve issues, they wrote him check for $5k to go away.

I think I would put it back in the showroom and ask for a different car. In the unlikely event that it is a battery problem or the computer thinks it is a battery problem, since it starts and the lights are bright, it could be an intermittant problem and sometimes there are unidentifiable intermittants.

1 Like

The business hours of the service department are not held secret. If you can’t pick up the vehicle during business hours an after hour pick up can be arranged.

It is inappropriate for a salesmen to release a vehicle from the service department without knowing if there is a safety issue or a balance due but you know how to get your way.

1 Like

It doesn’t hurt to ask, but the OP should be prepared for a “no” response from the dealership.

And, just to clarify the issue of the Lemon Law process–if it comes to that–the vehicle manufacturer is the party with whom the complainant deals. A dealership is not legally a party to a Lemon Law complaint.

See this is where rocket science comes in - the car was never worked on and the service department closes the same time people like me get off work. Service can ask the customer when he plans to pick it up. That’s called doing their job. So parking the car outside and giving the keys to Sales is pretty simple. Since the service order says, Part ordered, no work done, no balance due I don’t think Sales would fret.

Yes I got my way, sorry that offends you, I could have gone home without the car and had no way to get to work the next morning.

Since this thread has been Hijacked here is more. If a person asks that their vehicle keys be at the reception desk so they pick it after service department hours fine. The service department is not going to take the keys to the desk without contacting the customer .

To be fair, the title of this thread is incorrect, because you purchased the vehicle with 52 miles on it. Therefore, you have no idea how well it ran during those 52 miles, or if it was previously sold to someone else (who may have demanded a different car when this one broke down on the way home) or if it was driven inappropriately by a dealership employee, etc.

1 Like

I agree

Although I’d rather say the title is misleading

1 Like

Not likely. The 52 miles may have come from test drives.

2 Likes

As my username implies, I’m a fan of Honda vehicles. The one in my avatar lasted me 10 years and over 200,000 miles. Having said that, no brand is perfect and everyone puts out a bad one now and then. You should get it addressed under warranty.

this failure after 52 mi says the dealer did not inspect the car
Return the car and get a refund. Go elsewhere to buy a new Honda.

That does not even make sense . All mechanical things can have problems no matter what they are . And just what would someone inspect on a new vehicle ?

As for returning the vehicle that is probably not going to happen because the dealer is going to fix the problem under the factory warranty . If not fixed after a certain amount of tries then the state Lemon Law is the step to take.

1 Like

They’re not going to let him do that

1 Like

Something is definitely wrong with it if it had 52 miles on it. Most cars at dealerships when you have somewhere between two and 15 miles so it must’ve had an issue they thought they fixed it guess what they didn’t

That theory can be wrong on several ways. It could have had several test drives ( I have put 10 or 12 miles on a test drive on cars that I did not buy ) ( some dealers will actually let you take one home over night hoping that you will buy it ) ( it could have been a dealer to dealer trade because one dealer had a vehicle that another dealer had a buyer for ).

Out new Nissan had 186 miles on it because it was brought from Arkansas to Oklahoma becuse it had an equipment package we wanted.

3 Likes

Vehicles that have been on a dozen road tests normally aren’t selected to be placed on the showroom floor, they choose the cleanest vehicles for that.

Sometimes old inventory that has been difficult to move is placed in the showroom. This may be an example of old inventory and that raises suspicion.

2 Likes

Yes I will go along with that but if it was on the showroom floor do you think it was test driven that far? I worked in GM dealers forever and I understand what you’re saying especially if they let them take it home. I had a new Chevy Monte Carlo come in it had almost 200 miles on it also had a sticker that it was quality control tested,I just figured one of the guys needed a car to go home in that night LOL

This reminds me of when my wife and I bought a Toyota Matrix off the showroom floor. The actual car on the floor. I drove it home and guess what? No oil! They drained the oil so the car didn’t drip oil on their nice marble showroom floor😡