2020 Accord Hybrid, AC Not Blowing Cold Air

I have a 2020 Honda Accord Hybrid with about 20K miles on it. The AC is blowing air but it does not get cold. With the hood up and turning on the AC hear a moderately loud whine. When turning AC off it goes away. So I don’t believe it’s an electrical issue. I see both fans spin when turning on AC. I pressed the valve down and could hear air coming out. I checked the AC lines and didn’t see any fluid leaking. This car has R1234YF refrigerant. This car, there is no pulley on the AC compressor that is belt driven. The AC was blowing cold air at one point.

Any ideas on what the issue could be or how I could trouble shoot further? I am newer to Hybrid vehicles.

A 3 year old car with 20K… Isn’t there still a factory warranty on the car? A 3 year 36K mile Honda factory warranty??

1 Like

Tester

I think it would be under warranty still and thanks.

Is there anyway I can see if my VIN is impacted by this TSB? Is there like a database that I can type the vin to that would let me know?

Call your dealer and ask them, you picking and probing at it could void the warranty (sometimes they look for any excuse to get out of warranty work)

But since the TSB is from May 28, 2021, you should have already been notified about it…

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION
Owners of affected vehicles will be sent a notification of this campaign.

But you still need to take it to the dealer either way, and it should be covered under warranty…

And yes some/most/all (doesn’t matter) AC compressors are not driven by the engine via belt and use high voltage electricity to power the compressor on Hybrids, of cause EV’s all use the HV to run the compressor…
Meaning, if you don’t know what you are doing, stay away from anything orange under the hood as it has the capability to cook you and you will never know what happened…

What valve?

sorry, fitting/valve on the low pressure side I believe it was, for a split second, to see if it was pressurized, heard flow of air coming out.

Good idea, non-routine maintenance, should be covered under warranty

There is nothing you can do to fix an a/c system that you know nothing about. See if you have any warranty, if so dealer for sure, if not, either a dealer or a trusted shop with that ability. Is the compressor driven by the engine, or by an electric motor, like on many hybrids?

My plug-in hybrid uses a heat pump, rather than a compressor, so that is a third possibility.

True, but that can also be described as a reversible compressor. It either air conditions the interior to cool, or the exterior, to heat.

Yea I think on this car, it may have it’s own driver, and I hear a loud whine sound when turning on the AC. Not sure if the sound is normal or not. But I like the idea of just taking it to the dealer and having them take a look at it, especially if it would be covered by warranty.